PG Music Home
Posted By: Ray N Carat sign - azerty keyboard but English BIAB - 02/04/20 04:13 PM
I am finding it impossible to enter the carat sign (^)on my existing setup when I want to enter pushes in BIAB. Setup is

- French HP laptop without numeric keypad
- Azerty keyboard
- French language Win 10
- English language BIAB 2015 ExtraPlusPak

When I enter the carat (accent circonflex) key - to the right of "P" - followed by a chord, for example ^C7 BIAB does not take into account the ^ and simply displays C7 after I hit the enter key.

I have looked through an online french language version of the user manual and it seems to assume that if you have a french keyboard, then you will use BIAB in French (big assumption in my book in these days of international mobility). It also suggests that if the ^ sign is not recognised then use the numeric keypad (I can't remember which key), which I don't have....

Sure, I can use the Chord setting menu to enter pushes, but that is a clumsy work-around and time consuming.

Can anyone suggest a solution please?
I certainly don't profess to know the answer, but I understand that the circumflex is used on the AZERTY keyboard to generate a character requiring an accent, so is used as part of a two key-press process. The '^' is first pressed and then a corresponding character to generate an 'accented' character, e.g. 'รข'

Others may know more. Otherwise, the Chord Settings could be your best option.
try the number 6 with the shift key - that's where the ^ is on my english keyboard
Ray N, welcome to the forum. I agree with the Shift+6 suggestion.

Two other suggestions:

1) Send an email to support@pgmusic.com (or use the live chat)

2) Try the French language forum. You are likely to find others with your keyboard who will know. https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=15&page=1

Quote:
try the number 6 with the shift key - that's where the ^ is on my english keyboard

I doubt if it is <Shift>6 on his computer. I think the key codes are different. This is the AZERTY keyboard layout:

Attached picture 2020-02-06_8-16-33.jpg
Looks like something combined with 9. Alt?

Notes
the 6 key and shift might just be worth a try - in the early days of BIAB i had to use the 3 key on an English keyboard to enter # for a sharp

if its the english BIAB it might expect an english keyboard regardless - especially for non alphabetical and numerical characters
Yes, everything's definitely worth a try.
Looks like "Alt Gr" + "9" judging from the diagram VideoTrack provided.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Band-in-a-Box supports any international keyboard, so the character you type should correspond to the character that is actually on the key that you press. I think that typing the 9 key by itself should work (if using one of the modifier keys + 9 doesn't work).
Thanks to everyone for their creative suggestions - sorry to say that none of them worked......

Fortunately, by trial and error, I've found the solution, which I'll share with you

To enter a single carat :
Enter the carat key, next to P, then spacebar,then your chord

To enter 2 carat symbols :
Enter the carat key, then spacebar, then carat key, then spacebar, then your chord.
Thanks for getting back to use Ray with your solution. This can certainly assist others in the future, also.
Were you originally trying to enter the caret after the chord? It's always been that you type in the caret(s) before entering the chord (which is different from shots, holds, and rests, which do come after the chord).
try and hold the alt key down then press 94

Alt+94
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
try and hold the alt key down then press 94

Alt+94

This means hold down Alt, then press 9 then press 4?
yes ascii codes
If Alt+94 works ok on your machine then you could use AutoHotKey to send {Alt+94 } using any other key combination on your keyboard.
Originally Posted By: jford
Were you originally trying to enter the caret after the chord? It's always been that you type in the caret(s) before entering the chord (which is different from shots, holds, and rests, which do come after the chord).

Nope - I always tried to enter the carat before the chord
On a French AZERTY keyboard the circumflex accent (carat) is designed (like the German umlaut - 2 dots above a vowel) to be used with certain vowels and sits above them like a hat. The convention for using the circumflex (carat) with a vowel is

- enter carat sign (nothing is seen)
- enter the vowel (the vowel with circumflex accent appears)

I have never needed to display the circumflex sign in any other way until now. Talking with some friends in IT support, they tell me that the convention for displaying the cicumflex (carat) by itself is

- enter circumflex (nothing displays)
- enter space (cicumflex/carat displays)

PG seems to have adopted this convention, without mentioning it in the documentation, and it appears that by trial and error I hit upon the "industry standard" solution

ASCII codes are also a solution, but not very elegant.
With AutoHotKey you can enter ^ with a press of the mouse wheel (middle button).
Or better still use the Biab Chord Picker Tool.
© PG Music Forums