PG Music Home
Posted By: Brewzdude guitar note layout - 04/08/20 06:19 PM
So I'm new to BIAB and I consider myself a beginner guitarist. I've been using songs that I have found here & there and when I open the guitar notation the notes that are playing are typically on one string, like from the 3rd fret to the 15th fret of the low E string. That just doesn't seem right, I like to play in a box on all strings, it's just easier with less hand movement. Every time I have tried to correct it, then save the song when I open it back up the save didn't work. What am I doing wrong? What good is the program if you can't make changes? It would be okay if it transcribed properly. Am I missing a setting somewhere?
The files typically have a MGU or SGU file extension
I've been using Guitar Pro for 3 years and switched to BIAB because it sounds better.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: guitar note layout - 04/09/20 02:10 AM
Generally speaking, you can only change/amend notation on the Melodist and Soloist tracks. BiaB will generate its own arrangements on the other tracks.

If you are using MIDI on the other tracks (yellow), you can possibly freeze the tracks after you make any changes, and then save the song. When you next open the song, your changes should have been preserved.

If you are using RealTracks on those tracks (green), then any changes you make are not preserved, as these are Audio files, not MIDI. Some RealTracks have notation available, which is just a transcription from the artist produced audio.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: MarioD Re: guitar note layout - 04/09/20 12:24 PM
Brewzdude, great name BTW, that is not right. I need a little more information though.
Are you playing the part or is it a BiaB part?
What style are you using?
What is your OS? Mac or PC?

The more information you can give the better the responses will be.

Note I have not seen your problem before.

Have you tried a factory reset, i.e. return to factory settings?
Posted By: Brewzdude Re: guitar note layout - 04/10/20 04:14 PM
Thanks, I'm a hop head and make no apologies (even though I have cut back some) still love an IPA though

I'm using win 10 64 bit
The song is Ain't No Sunshine.MGU
It has 5 tracks;
Bass (Green Underlined)
Piano (Green Underlined)
Drums (Green)
Guitar 2 (Yellow)
They style is _JAZFRED.STY

My intent is to use the song to learn to play it. eg.
I want to be able to record me playing the Bass, guitar and maybe the piano or synth track. I don't play drums so I'll probably leave that alone. I would also like to change the arrangement some to make it shorter.
If the green underlined is an analog track would it be possible to copy the notes to a new midi track so it can be edited, or maybe save the song as a midi file?

This is my first time and I'm still trying to figure out how I should produce it. I think I have all the equipment I need, it's just a matter of putting all together.
I have a Korg D3200 recorder, a Zoom Q2n 4K (I use the D3200 to input into the Zoom so it sounds great)I have a Roland FA-06 keyboard, a Fender GT100 & Fender Rumble 40 bass amp and everything goes through the D3200. I also have Cakewalk on my PC but frankly I don't think my PC has the guts to do it. I was having a major problem with video & audio stuttering but I think I have that fixed.

I've only had BIAB 2020 for a few months and it has helped me to make a lot of progress in learning how to play and I'm at the point that I need to start recording so I can learn from my mistakes. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: MarioD Re: guitar note layout - 04/10/20 05:33 PM
Did you try a factory reset?

Can you upload the BiaB MGU file so we could look at it? Maybe use Dropbox? If you are not sure how to upload it let me know and I will give you my email address via a PM.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: guitar note layout - 04/10/20 05:38 PM
There is an Audio track you could record onto. Press the 'Audio' button on the mixer to expose it:

Attached picture 2020-04-11_6-36-31.jpg
Posted By: Brewzdude Re: guitar note layout - 04/10/20 09:48 PM
Thank you, I'll give that a try.
Posted By: MarioD Re: guitar note layout - 04/10/20 11:09 PM
I found the problem.

In your original file the guitar part was played virtually all on the high string, but when viewed on the guitar fretboard it was played on different strings. To see this click on views/guitar, see fretboard picture.

The reason you are seeing the lead played on the high E string is because guitar is written an octave higher then it sounds. Thus you are seeing the right notes BUT for some reason BiaB's tab is in concert pitch, i.e. one octave higher then it should be - what you see and not what you hear.

Clicking on views/BbC ch. Display and unchecking guitar+12 easily changes this, see correct tab picture.

Attached picture fretboard.jpg
Attached picture correct tab.jpg
Posted By: Brewzdude Re: guitar note layout - 04/12/20 12:56 AM
I had noticed that all of the songs I've been playing were like that, where the guitar didn't match the tabs. WOW I never would have figured that one out. Thank you so much. Stay safe. Cheers!
Posted By: MarioD Re: guitar note layout - 04/12/20 01:56 PM
As you know a note can be played on more than one string and in fact a concert middle C can be played on 5 different strings on a standard tuned guitar, i.e B string down to the low E string.

Maybe this attached chart will help you learn the notes on the fretboard:

Description: Notes on a guitar fretboard
Attached File
© PG Music Forums