PG Music Home
Posted By: ChrisO Regarding real tracks and melody - 04/18/20 01:24 PM
Hello,

I've noticed (and could be wrong) that real tracks seem to be tailored to the chord progression entered. For the song I wrote, the cello part is following the chord progression but sounds bad alongside the melody line. Is there a way to have real tracks harmonize with a melody line? I've tried regenerating the track many times and it just doesn't sound well with the melody.

Thanks.
Chris
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Regarding real tracks and melody - 04/18/20 01:36 PM
Hi Chris. I don’t know your level of music theory, so accept my apology in advance if this is too simple. Writing a chord progression to harmonize a melody is indeed a great skill to develop. Alternatively, some approach it the other way, by composing the chord progression first. BIAB can assist but you should have (or develop) some skill to work with it.

Having said that, BIAB can be told to harmonize your melody. Or, BIAB can even be told to write an entire song.

But you are correct, BIAB is an accompaniment program that makes its decisions primarily from the chord progression you enter. So, can you elaborate on what you are trying to do? I’m sure we can assist.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Regarding real tracks and melody - 04/19/20 11:04 AM
I believe you have a couple of options.

1- if you are on a PC then input you song into RealBand and regenerate those measures that do not harmonize correctly. You may have to do this a few times. Note that I do not use RealBand so someone else will have to fill in the details on how to do this.

2- transfer you song to a DAW and use MIDI to write your Cello part. There are a number of Cello VSTis available ranging from free to very expensive. Google/Bing cello vst and you will find them.

Good luck.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Regarding real tracks and melody - 04/19/20 12:05 PM
agree about RealBand. the multiriff function gives you lots of choices to cut up and edit together
© PG Music Forums