PG Music Home
When I open Band in a Box, I notice a discrepancy between the key and the chord of the chord sheet. The key is C and the chord is E !!!
Welcome to the forum.

We need more info to give a clear answer, but first, BIAB defaults to the key of C unless you change it, so that's normal.

There are a few possibilities here.

ONE (possible)
When you write a song in BIAB, you should set the key signature. It helps in the program making certain decisions, such as whether to display a D# or Eb, and it may make a difference in the program's artificial intelligence choices for your backing tracks. But if you forget, it's usually not a big deal. We see lots of songs posted here and it seems few set the key signature properly. Also, that presupposes one knows enough music theory to determine what the correct key signature is.

If you import a song, especially from a MIDI file, you will also want to set the correct key signature.
But you are talking about opening a new song. so I'm not sure.

Do you know how to set the key signature?

TWO (more likely)
You have a transposition in effect.

Do you remember going into Preferences, Notation, and setting up BIAB to show the key of the display for an instrument that is not concert pitch? You would have to have entered a 4 where there should be a zero in the Transposition options.

AND FINALLY

When BIAB does something odd that you know should be working but isn't, go to Options, Return to Factory Settings, Most. Then restart BIAB.

If that doesn't do it, let us know.
I reckon it's Matt's second choice too.... that a transposition is in effect; probably visual transposition.
In addition to what was mentioned above, there's also this option that affects transposition (basically another way of checking the same thing):

I think there are at least three ways to set transposition, and two different types. That's why it can be difficult to diagnose.

Dagneau, how are things going?
© PG Music Forums