PG Music Home
Posted By: Fabio Sena Create Jazz and Bossa nova backing tracks - 09/18/20 01:09 PM
Hey,

I'm new to band in a box and I want the software to generate backing tracks as MIDI and WAV for playing on my Roland FP30. I want hi quality bass (just bass) or bass+drums for a variety of jazz, funk and bossa related styles. What version of band in a box and what additional packs should I use? I want the lowest price but with all I need.

Thx
Welcome to the forum. I compose and arrange jazz and Bossa nova and samba songs.

You get the same base program with any version of BIAB. What you pay for is the extra MIDI and RealTracks, different amounts at different price points. We always advise to get as many as you can afford, but you can always upgrade to get more or all.

Although there are individual packages of RealTracks, they aren't complete genres, plus you have three genres here - jazz, funk, Latin.

I'll add some links you can research, but you will probably want to skip the entry level Pro version and get at least a MegaPak (primarily MIDI) or UltraPak (with the RealTracks).

This link describes the differences:
https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

This link gives the add-ons. If you click on Jazz, for example, there are 16 in jazz alone. So most people opt for the mega or ultrapak as it's less expensive than buying all the add-on paks for multiple genres.
https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.202newrealtracks.htm

Hope this helps!

Good advice above.
I also suggest that Ultra is the best starting point, but bottom line: the overall recommendation is to purchase the highest pak that fits within your budget.
I would suggest getting the Pro package (at $129), and then during the Black Friday sale, upgrade to Ultra. That will give you some time to see if BiaB fits your needs.

I just checked, and noticed that the Roland FP30 only accepts Bluetooth MIDI. The FP60 and FP90 also accept Bluetooth audio. So, if you're planning to stream the output from BiaB to the FP30, be aware of that. The Ultra packages, with all of the RealTracks, might very well be overkill.

Can you tell us EXACTLY how you'd like to use the output from BiaB with your FP30? That will help us give a better answer.
That’s a good suggestion. The new version generally goes on sale around Christmas.
© PG Music Forums