PG Music Home
Posted By: George_H Folders to use as set lists - 10/20/20 01:17 PM
Can I use folders to set up set lists . . . and how is this accomplished?
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Folders to use as set lists - 10/20/20 04:18 PM
what do you want set lists for? if you are playing live lots of us do and there are lots of different ways

tell us more please and we can help
Posted By: George_H Re: Folders to use as set lists - 10/20/20 04:36 PM
I am part of a duo . . . I play guitar, he plays keyboards. We are both retired and cannot rely on memory to help with song lyrics like when we were young. I got BIAB because I wanted to add depth and structure to our music. I use a laptop to store all of our songs. I like the idea of BIAB but some areas of it seem to be convoluted and not very easy to understand. I need a way to set up set lists so that I don't have to search the whole database each time for a particular song title or the next one on the list. If you have other ways of doing this, I am all ears. Thank you
Posted By: jazzsax Re: Folders to use as set lists - 10/21/20 02:40 PM
Here’s my method....
1. Create a new folder that will be used for the upcoming performance.
2. Copy your entire song list into the new folder.
3. In the new folder, create a set list by numbering the songs
01,02,03 04, etc. They will then play in that order,
I find that +/- 20 songs will give me an hour of music.
4. Open up Jukebox to play the set that you have created in the new folder.
In Jukebox you have the option of having the songs play in order without interruption
or pausing between songs that will allow you to chat with the audience. If you choose
the pause option, the next song on your set will begin when you hit the space bar
on your computer.
Important, if you try to modify the song while it is playing, it you will cancel the Jukebox
function. Your playlist will be intact but you will have to select each song manually to play.
This is done on my MacBook Air, I’m sure on other computers the process is similar.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Folders to use as set lists - 10/22/20 09:50 AM
these days as most of the tracks i produce use RealTracks rather than midi, instead of using a midi file player and roland sound module like i used to, its easier and better sounding to use mp3s generated by BIAB - or in my case RealBand.

a second hand ipod touch off ebay is a great player and really cheap - you can use a first or second generation unit and even have a second one as a stand-by.

set up set lists with one song per set list (use the name of the song!) so the ipod doesn't play another track after the one you've chosen.

as for lyrics, people are used to seeing keyboard players with music so having a bookk with lyrics is no problem and as a guitarist I always used to have a folder on a music stand.

using a lap top live and BIAB or RB is riskier than playing mp3s direct through the PA. it can be done - i've done it but the fewer the links in the chain the smaller the risk count
Posted By: Tony Wright Re: Folders to use as set lists - 10/22/20 11:03 AM
Originally Posted By: jazzsax
Here’s my method....
1. Create a new folder that will be used for the upcoming performance.
2. Copy your entire song list into the new folder.
3. In the new folder, create a set list by numbering the songs
01,02,03 04, etc. They will then play in that order,
I find that +/- 20 songs will give me an hour of music.
4. Open up Jukebox to play the set that you have created in the new folder.
In Jukebox you have the option of having the songs play in order without interruption
or pausing between songs that will allow you to chat with the audience. If you choose
the pause option, the next song on your set will begin when you hit the space bar
on your computer.
Important, if you try to modify the song while it is playing, it you will cancel the Jukebox
function. Your playlist will be intact but you will have to select each song manually to play.
This is done on my MacBook Air, I’m sure on other computers the process is similar.

This is what I have usually done without using the Jukebox for the reason given. Even if you try to just restart a song the Jukebox function is cancelled. Once you have created the song list in a separate folder as suggested it is very quick to select the and load the next song from the Songpicker and you retain the flexibility to change your mind on the fly about the order of songs or to bypass one.

Tony
Posted By: jazzsax Re: Folders to use as set lists - 10/22/20 01:34 PM
Tony,
On occasion I would want to exit the Jukebox mode to play a request.
Since I copied my entire song list to my performance folder it is easy to
manually select the requested song and then return to the set list of numbered
songs and continue manually.
© PG Music Forums