PG Music Home
Posted By: Cotts Quarter Note Triplets in 4/4 time. How? - 01/09/21 01:33 PM
This is for chord entry - I'm old so my example would be the triplet chords in "I Fought the Law" by the Bobby Fuller 4...

How do I enter this while on the Chord entry screen?

Thanks!

Dave
The Band-in-a-Box StylePicker gave many style choices when I entered the song name in the song filter. It suggested light pop, 4/4 with even feel at a tempo of 150 BPM as starting point.

Here is a screen shot of the findings.

Description: StylePicker choices with I Fought The Law song filter.
Attached picture Clipboard01.png
Posted By: Cotts Re: Quarter Note Triplets in 4/4 time. How? - 01/09/21 03:06 PM
Thanks, Jim, and for the other reply about the noise.

I only mentioned "I Fought..." as an example of the quarter note triplet concept. I don't actually want to enter that song or anything much like it - just want to compose something that has triplets in the chords...

THX

Dave
Firstly, welcome.

You could choose a 4/4 Style that has triplets as a feel, but you wouldn't normally be able to enter chords as triplets in the chord entry chart.

If you select the Style Picker, press Clear, select 4/4 Styles from the Time Signature button, and enter the text 'Triplet' in the Filter String, you will be presented with styles that match those settings.

You can enter notation to have a triplet form, but I think that is separate to your question, as it doesn't relate to the chord chart.
Posted By: Cotts Re: Quarter Note Triplets in 4/4 time. How? - 01/09/21 05:11 PM
I haven't been clear, I suppose. I have a song, 4/4 time in straight 1/8 notes, NOT swing or treble time, and I want to do quarter note triplets for chords in a few parts of the song on the first two beats of certain bars.......

What if I were to change time signatures from 4/4 to 12/8 and enter the quarter note triplets somehow...

Xxx Xxx Xxx Xxx is 12/8 with quarter notes on the 4 beats.

XxX xXx XxX xXx...... would do the trick, maybe...

So 4/4 Xx Xx Xx Xx 12/8 XxX xXx Xxx Xxx....

Dave
Quote:
and I want to do quarter note triplets for chords in a few parts of the song on the first two beats of certain bars

You can change the Style at any bar. Hopefully that might deliver what you need, but that is limited to an entire bar, not part of a bar.
For example: start with a 4/4 style. At the required bar, press function key <F5> and select a 12/8 style, then repeat the process at the bar that you wish to return to a 4/4 style.

Alternately you could possibly create your own style using MIDI that meets your requirements.
Posted By: Cotts Re: Quarter Note Triplets in 4/4 time. How? - 01/09/21 06:56 PM
thanks. I'll be trying several avenues.... May have to play it in 'live'.....

Dave
Band-in-a-Box recognizes two time signature, 4/4 and 3/4 (waltz time). Every other time signature is a derivative of one of these two. RealTracks might be recorded in 6/8 or 12/8 but the program is counting in 3/4 or 6/8.

VideoTrack also pointed out a gotcha' that needs to be highlighted in more detail. If you have a song with multiple time signatures the song has to start with the 4/4 time signature.
© PG Music Forums