PG Music Home
Posted By: Peter Britt Problem with intros - 02/11/21 02:09 PM
Hi everyone....Having problems with creating intros. I can generate the intro, but it advances the song by however many measures the intro is. Kind of like below:

1*. song starts
after adding intro
1. Intro begins for 8 measures
2. Song with intro
3. Actual song no begins on measure 9
4. Song with intro plays as if the first 8 measures of the actual song were already played as part of the intro

Any help would be appreciated, thank you8.

Peter Britt
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Problem with intros - 02/11/21 11:05 PM
Band-in-a-Box divides a song into three parts labeled Start, End and Chorus. As shown below with the default settings the song starts at bar one, ends at bar 32 and the chorus repeats 3 times.

Using the default settings the song has no intro because the Chorus starts at bar 1 and extends to bar 32. Bars 1 to 32 will playback three times because the Chorus is set to play three times.

Bar 33 is the first bar of the End. Bar 33 will playback once bar 32 is played three times. The End always plays one time. Depending on Preference Settings the End may play for two bars or four bars. The End may be just bars 33 & 34 or it can be bars 33, 34, 35 and 36.

So how do you get an intro? You change the Chorus Start bar number. For example, if you want a four bar intro change the Start number to five (5). Now the Chorus starts at bar 5 so the intro is composed of bars 1, 2, 3 and 4. Notice how the chord sheet changed; there is a division between bars 1-4 and 5-8 plus a blue, "A" part marker was added to bar 5. Like the End the intro bars only playback one time and then the Chorus starts.

I hope this helps. It's a good question because the way Band-in-a-Box approaches song structure is different from the way some people think about song structure. But it is easy to accommodate once you understand.

Description: Defaults
Attached picture Clipboard01.png

Description: Chorus Start Changed
Attached picture Clipboard02.png
Posted By: Peter Britt Re: Problem with intros - 02/12/21 01:33 PM
Thanks very much for your reply. I believe I have a better grasp on this now.... smile

Peter Britt
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Problem with intros - 02/15/21 09:55 PM
You are both welcome. Thank you for your responses; positive feedback is always welcome! smile
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Problem with intros - 02/16/21 09:21 AM
If you have a pre-existing song made with no intro and it's decided an intro is needed, BIAB can also auto-generate or auto-remove intro bars into your song.

Edit | Song Form | Intro Bars Autogenerate (or Remove)...
© PG Music Forums