PG Music Home
I'm using BIAB to create songs and then export them as MIDI for use in REAPER. I've noticed that the exported MIDI drum tracks frequently contain some MIDI notes that are outside of the range of the drums plugin I'm using in REAPER (in this case Boom by AIR Music Technology) nor are they referenced on the standard General MIDI Percussion Key Map. Obviously BIAB knows what elements of a drum kit those notes refer to, so is there a way to reveal that?

For example, when BIAB MIDI indicates "notes" F5 and E5, what elements of a drum set are they referring to? High hat? Cymbals?

Thanks.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Forever Remember
File:BnB Forever Remember BUILD 35--Inserted verse 4.MGU
Key=Dm , Tempo 100, Length (m:s)=2:45
1 bar intro, 64 bar chorus, from bar 2 to bar 65. Repeat x1 chorus
Melody has 206 notes, Melody harmony is Rock Organ 8va(121)
Soloist track has 511 notes, Soloist harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Soloist is saved with the song : Coltrane -16ths-slower tempo (25)
Style is ANSWERS.STY (Answers - New Age - Smooth Jazz)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Strings (49), Pad-New Age (89), 26/1 12-Strings Guitar, GM2 Bank 1, Pad-Bowed (93),
MIDI Drums :9 Room Drum Kit (9)

GM drums contain percussion instruments also. That is they may contain bongos, shakers, tambourines, etc. Most if not all of the better drum presets do not have percussion instruments, they only contain the main kit set. Thus you have to also have some percussion instrument presets to hear them.

I run into this also. What I do is in my DAW I separate each drum and assign a GM drum map to each. This tells me what instrument that note is calling for. Then I choose a preset that matches that instrument.

Another option is to separate the basic kit notes from the percussion notes; this may depend on the DAW you are using. If you can't do that copy the entire drum track. On the original drums track delete the percussion notes and on the copied drum track delete the basic kit notes then assign the presets based on that criteria.

I hope this helps and good luck.

{edit} also note that different drum presets may have different drum maps. This may also have certain notes either do not play or play the wrong drum or cymbal. Again use a GM drum map to determine what each note is supposed to play.
Thank you for the prompt reply, MarioD. After further investigation I've discovered that REAPER's MIDI display is offset by one octave, so where I thought key #76 was F5 is in fact F4, at least according to https://computermusicresource.com/midikeys.html, i.e., there are two MIDI conventions one octave apart based upon where they locate middle C. Who knew?

So, in answer to my question, the two mystery MIDI drum notes generated by BIAB are Hi and Low Block respectively. Problem solved. smile
Originally Posted By: XilburQost
Thank you for the prompt reply, MarioD. After further investigation I've discovered that REAPER's MIDI display is offset by one octave, so where I thought key #76 was F5 is in fact F4, at least according to https://computermusicresource.com/midikeys.html, i.e., there are two MIDI conventions one octave apart based upon where they locate middle C. Who knew?

So, in answer to my question, the two mystery MIDI drum notes generated by BIAB are Hi and Low Block respectively. Problem solved. smile

I'm glad that you found the problem.

There are actually three different MIDI conventions, C3, C4, and C5. You are right in that it does get very confusing at times.
© PG Music Forums