PG Music Home
Posted By: DannyJo239 Export to midi file has only drum track - 03/05/21 07:22 PM
The song to mp3 and wave file worked fine but the midi file was only the drums.
Posted By: rharv Re: Export to midi file has only drum track - 03/05/21 07:39 PM
Are the rest of the tracks Realtracks, thus audio?
These will not be in a MIDI file, but would be in a WAV or MP3 file.
Realtracks often have MIDI notation available (but not always). To make sure any notation is exported to a MIDI file, please go to Options > Preferences > MIDI File, and make sure the boxes I highlighted in this screenshot are checked.

Attached picture Realcharts in Midi.png
Is the MIDI notation the same as the audio?

I've never checked this and am simply curious.

Notes ♫
Posted By: rharv Re: Export to midi file has only drum track - 03/06/21 10:48 AM
Reasonably close in my experience, though they are usually transcribed by someone other then the original performer as I understand it. So not 'exact'.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Export to midi file has only drum track - 03/06/21 12:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Is the MIDI notation the same as the audio?

I've never checked this and am simply curious.

Notes ♫

RT pianos will often have midi associated which is entered by transcription. This as you might expect is very limited for usage as the velocity is stagnant and does not reflect the actual "touch" playing by the musician. Hence the need for the MST's.
I had thought that the piano/keyboard instruments didn't require separate transcription as the MIDI output could be recorded at the same time as the audio.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Export to midi file has only drum track - 03/06/21 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I had thought that the piano/keyboard instruments didn't require separate transcription as the MIDI output could be recorded at the same time as the audio.

That sounds like the definition of a MST. Not all (actually relatively few) of the piano/keyboard instruments are recorded with both midi/audio. Or maybe my memory is failing. I just remember being very disappointed and then happy when I discovered this distinction. MSTs are my go to.
hi

I think you will find that,
The default piano in the legacy track 2 on the mixer is the one that pg make from the dual piano.
Any other piano tracks in the style may or may not contain midi transcription data.

Mike
For piano Realtracks I think it all depends on when and where it was recorded. I'm certain we've used Disklavier pianos on many of them, which is an acoustic grand piano with MIDI capabilities so they would've recorded both MIDI and Audio at the same time, but not all piano RT's of course.

For other instruments, it's a mixed bag. Drums are not hard as you can either use drum triggers or run the multitrack audio through some sort of trigger software, both of which will generate some MIDI, though it's not perfect. Other instruments usually have to be done manually, with the possible exception of guitar and bass as I know there are MIDI pickups available for those, just not certain if we've used those in the past.

Tldr: Not every RT has notation, and it's not always 100% accurate as it's intended for visual notation use not for MIDI/audio use.

It was this post that I recalled had mentioned MIDI being recorded directly.
Thanks Videotrack, I knew I'd seen that somewhere!

It occurs to me that our non-piano keyboard instruments likely don't have direct MIDI output. I can't imagine they've ever made a Wurlitzer, Rhodes, or Hammond with a MIDI output...
Posted By: rharv Re: Export to midi file has only drum track - 03/09/21 07:22 PM
Good news is you can add MIDI if you have the time/inclination <grin>
https://www.vintagevibe.com/blogs/news/1971-fender-rhodes-suitcase-with-stereo-spring-reverb
Thanks for the info, Simon.

Notes ♫
Originally Posted By: rharv
Good news is you can add MIDI if you have the time/inclination <grin>
https://www.vintagevibe.com/blogs/news/1971-fender-rhodes-suitcase-with-stereo-spring-reverb

Hah nice! I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Thanks for the info, Simon.

Notes ♫

Anytime laugh
Posted By: bocaj Re: Export to midi file has only drum track - 04/15/21 03:55 PM
Export to mp3 plays the melody but not the harmony. Any one help please.
Originally Posted By: bocaj
Export to mp3 plays the melody but not the harmony. Any one help please.

Hi bocaj, you would possibly be better to start a new thread with your request. It potentially could get more views, as this thread relates to MIDI not audio output.
© PG Music Forums