PG Music Home
Factors influencing the automatic generation of the midi score of an instrument

Generating a midi score is tedious, and the automatic generation of BIAB can be a good place to start.

So that the score generated by BIAB is closest to my needs, I would like to have a little visibility on the factors that influence this generation.

Obviously, the style of the track influences, but I suspect that there are other factors, like maybe the instrument affect to the standard track ...)
If the matter with the track is taken into account, is it the initial instrument of the track (Piano, Guitar ...) or the instrument currently at the track ...?

Is it possible to know a little more about the factors which condition the generation of the Midi track, so as to be able to influence the Midi stream generated automatically?
I would like for example to be able to force the creation of chords or arpeggio depending on the case, to be able to influence the duration of the chords (one per measure, or 1 per beat) ...

Thank you for your attention
not sure what you are asking. its easy to set the duration of chords by putting one on each beat of the bar, or using holds or hits depending on how you enter chords on the chord sheet. that's how BIAB is designed to work.

as to how the midi is generated there are some settings in song settings but i'm not sure that's what you are after.
Use the StyleMaker to studio the midi patterns contained in Multi Styles and MIDI Styles. First you'll want to learn about the StyleMaker and understand exactly what it is showing you. +++ HERE +++ is a 37 minute 1997 video that describes the StyleMaker in some detail. While Band-in-a-Box has changed a lot since the video was released the StyleMaker hasn't changed at all.

Once you identify a style that contains midi you want to investigate then navigate to File > StyleMaker > Edit Current Style to open the StyleMaker.
Yep, like Jim said, the StyleMaker is where you can see how the MIDI sausage is made. That being said, if the track is a Super MIDI track, my understanding is that it uses a different system to generate the accompaniment, so I don't think we have any insight into that. But for regular MIDI styles, you can see how the patterns are formed. Be sure to look any masks and weights on the pattern as well, as that provides the rules for when that pattern is used (for example, you can set a mask to tell it to play a pattern only if the following chord is a 4th up - because maybe that pattern is a walk up from 1 to 4).

Definitely look at the video Jim posted to get a better idea.
Thank you very much for your answer.

I'm not familiar with the styleMaker and discovered it with interest.

It is indeed very powerful.
But ultimately my need concerns rather the "Style Creation Wizard" that I have also just discovered, with the idea of ​​configuring the wizard, so that the style generated for a given instrument only contains paterns with simply held chords or arpeggios ...

As the creation Wizard style does not allow it, I will therefore identify the styles containing these basic paterns, and use them to generate my midi tracks. I have already spotted the styles
SW44HELD.STY, HELDBOSA.STY for held agreements. I'll look for the arpeggios.

In any case, thank you for your invaluable help which made me progress in my search.
I haven't tried all of them but when I went searching for midi arpeggio styles these came up

Description: StylePicker filtered with ARP & midi only.
Attached picture Clipboard01.png
© PG Music Forums