PG Music Home
Posted By: Roycol program 'pause' - 04/11/21 05:47 AM
Using BIAB 2021 build 827.
On my 'slower' pc, (i3 processor 6m RAM SSD) every often the program just pauses, sometimes with 'not responding' at the top, other thing on the pc continue working, I can look at task manager, processor is no more than 25%, plenty of ram free. This pause is often 2 minutes, when it comes back it catches up with all my key & mouse presses. Its not when doing anything specific.
I tried re-install, cleaning out registry, etc.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: program 'pause' - 04/11/21 06:40 AM
It may be not responding because another program is taking too many of the available resources.

Can you run Resource Monitor (Windows Task Manager > Performance Tab > Open Resource Monitor)?
With that, you can monitor what programs are using system resources (including Memory, CPU, Disk and Network resources).

It could also be your anti-virus protection, or network resources.

In a nutshell, Windows tags the task as not responding if it has not been able to interact with it for more than 5 seconds (the application has not polled the Windows event queue for more than 5 seconds).

Probably the problem is going to be something else affecting other program's ability to operate properly, but there may be many reasons.

You mentioned that this occurs when no doing anything specific. Does this happen during a detailed generation or just during playback? Does it still occur with an all MIDI style? Does it occur when you are not actively performing anything with the BiaB program?
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: program 'pause' - 04/13/21 03:06 PM
Hello Roycol,

As mentioned above, it does sound like your program is becoming unresponsive intermittently. This can happen with any program. You can try running Band-in-a-Box on its own with no other programs open and see if it takes care of this issue. The questions that VideoTrack asked are good ones for us to know the answers to. I'm also wondering if you are noticing if this happens with longer songs in specific or if it doesn't matter what the length of the song is?

Thank you,
Ember
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: program 'pause' - 04/13/21 05:17 PM
While we usually tend to look for a system reason, there are a few things in BIAB you can adjust to see if it helps.

1. Options, Preferences, RealTracks. Uncheck Speed up generation of RealTracks, and set the choice underneath that about Stretching to Low
2. Same menu, just above: put a check in the checkbox for Use +- RealTracks
3. In Song Settings (Ctrl+N) put a check in the checkbox for This Song Has Playback Problems

And back to system solutions:
1. defrag your hard drive
2. try the free Latency Monitor to look for frequent spikes
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: program 'pause' - 04/13/21 07:42 PM
Yes, it will be interesting to see what the status is when the O/P responds.
Posted By: Roycol Re: program 'pause' - 04/14/21 04:58 AM
Which 'Latency Monitor' tool are you refer to?

Roy
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: program 'pause' - 04/14/21 06:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Roycol
Which 'Latency Monitor' tool are you refer to?

Roy

DPC refers to Deferred Procedure Calls and Windows uses it to assign the correct priority to drivers that need to run concurrently within the computer system. OK, sounds a little technical I know, but it's important because it can affect a program's efficiency, and your description issue fits.

One such latency checker is shown on this page

Do ensure that you are comfortable with any programs that you download from the internet though.

There is further information available at this web site
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: program 'pause' - 04/14/21 08:13 AM
Roycol uk.

when considering useing a particular pc configuration ;
cpubenchmark.net is your friend imho.
ie google cpubenchmark.net plus processor id.
in this case "cpubenchmark.net i3 2310m"
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-2310M+%40+2.10GHz&id=756
if you notice the avg cpu mark on that processor is rather low.
at around 1177.
i usually recommend a minimum cpu rateing of 5000 for daw work , and if wanting high trak counts and plug in counts, and useing advanced heavy duty sample libraries much much higher rateing.
(read some of the music computer threads on gearslutz.com if you doubt what i'm saying. many people on there have been through the "choosing the right computer config issue" from small project studios up to the big studios.)

is this i3 also on the net ?
i recommend not to do that. and before someone disagrees with me. FINE !
but i stand firm by that assertion. once again roy , if you doubt me go and do your own research on forums like gearslutz and recording.org and ask seasoned studio owners bout this topic.
(it baffles me when , years ago , it was a given that one kept ones recording computer off the net. now the new generation of project studios are back to doing it.)
read some of my threads on pg here roy where i suggest refurb computer configs that will cost you 400 pounds total max in your money.
eg refurb hp z workstations stuffed with ram and ssd's.

anyhoo.
best
oldmuso.
ps i went to uni in uk. and support a certain footie team that is currently surprising everyone near the top of the premier league. i'm ecstatic. lol.
a clue is "bubbles". lol.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: program 'pause' - 04/14/21 04:10 PM
What is the sound card or interface and what driver are you running?
Posted By: Roycol Re: program 'pause' - 04/25/21 04:48 PM
using cpubenchmark.net, I discovered my pc was in 'power saver mode'
I have now changed it to 'high performance' I think its made a difference, only time will tell!

Roy
© PG Music Forums