PG Music Home
Posted By: zacworld Are rhythmic hits possible? [Resolved] - 05/14/21 03:38 PM
I'm writing a fast jazz tune which has an 8 bar intro. In the 8th bar I want the rhythm section to do 'hits' on beat 1 and 2 (beat 2 then sustains through the rest of the bar). I tried putting the 2 chords in the 8th bar on beats 1 & 2 and then separating them with a comma in the hopes that might do it, but that didn't work.

Is this kind of thing possible in BIAB, or is it not supported?

Thanks.

Zac
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Are rhythmic hits possible? - 05/14/21 06:09 PM
Yes. You do need the comma to separate beats one and two. But what you are looking for is called a Shot in BIAB. If you type two periods after the chord name, you will get a shot/hit. [Three is a hold; one is a rest]

You would type something like this in the left half of a cell: Dm7..,G7..ENTER

Read in the Help, Index under Rests and you'll see there's more to it.
Posted By: zacworld Re: Are rhythmic hits possible? - 05/14/21 09:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Yes. You do need the comma to separate beats one and two. But what you are looking for is called a Shot in BIAB. If you type two periods after the chord name, you will get a shot/hit. [Three is a hold; one is a rest]

You would type something like this in the left half of a cell: Dm7..,G7..ENTER

Read in the Help, Index under Rests and you'll see there's more to it.

Thanks Matt! As usual you know the answers. That was a tremendous help. Take care.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Are rhythmic hits possible? - 05/14/21 11:01 PM
Sure. By the way, I re-read your question and you want three dots, not two, after that second chord. However, you can combine these. For example, if you did this:

Dm7..,G7…d

It will hold the G7 except the drums will play. If bar 9 has a part marker, you’ll hear a fill in bar 8.
Posted By: zacworld Re: Are rhythmic hits possible? - 05/15/21 12:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Sure. By the way, I re-read your question and you want three dots, not two, after that second chord. However, you can combine these. For example, if you did this:

Dm7..,G7…d

It will hold the G7 except the drums will play. If bar 9 has a part marker, you’ll hear a fill in bar 8.

Yes thanks, after experimenting with it a bit I saw that. Some of the chords are syncopated so I was using the periods and commas I used some of the ^ to get it to sound properly.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Are rhythmic hits possible? - 05/15/21 02:08 PM
Add a semicolon and it starts to sound like English!
Posted By: zacworld Re: Are rhythmic hits possible? - 05/16/21 03:53 AM
laugh
© PG Music Forums