PG Music Home
+++ AnotherProducer.com +++ created this neat pdf file that lists and describes all the MIDI Continuous Controller (CC) numbers with descriptions.

Look to the bottom of this post for the attached pdf file or you can download it from the webpage.

Attached File
This looks a good guide to reasonably standard CC settings, thanks Jim.

However a guide it is. Many instruments use the CCs for vastly different purposes so the CCs in the list could potentially be inaccurate. In Reaper creating “Note Maps” for the piano roll and including the naming of the CC lanes a good tool (unfortunately I’ve not found a way to do this in Cakewalk which seems limited to drum maps). I don’t know if other daws provide the ability to create “Note Maps”.

Just a thought.

Tony
If you forget where you downloaded it and want a quick reference, go to:

http://www.nortonmusic.com/midi_cc.html

Not quite as verbose but all the controllers and thier functions are listed.

Insights and incites by Notes
Tony,

The good thing about the attached pdf and Notes Norton's list is both are based on a MIDI standard. Reaper's Note Maps is not based on a standard but is exclusive to Reaper.
Yeah, but sometimes you need to map things to a non-standard setup.
In RB/PT there is a feature to Split all the notes on a given MIDI track to separate tracks (page 235 of the manual I have) .. then you can edit (using Data Filter if required) and remap/transpose each track, effectively remapping each note to any port and any synth .. but it's a multi-step process.
It'll likely get you there due to the powerful MIDI editing in RB/PT, but it's a manual process.

I surmise Reaper is pretty much manual too, but having that custom ability is nice.
Sometimes synths don't adhere to the MIDI Standards so you gotta go outside the box

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Tony,

The good thing about the attached pdf and Notes Norton's list is both are based on a MIDI standard. Reaper's Note Maps is not based on a standard but is exclusive to Reaper.

The note maps I refer to are very specific, a different note map for each instrument. For example, the note map used for Tod’s Pedal Steel does not apply to a VSL Synchron instrument. Even two different VSL instruments could have different CC lane requirements.

Whilst there are a fairly standard set of CC lanes they are not set in concrete was my point. Even say CC7 normally set to volume only works on volume if the instrument is written that way.

To make it even more complex, many instruments allow one to reassign the CC lanes to their own liking. This makes CC lanes very flexible.

The great thing about note maps is you don’t have to remember plugin specific CCs. (Or Key Switches) When you have the instrument set and the note map applied, it is saved as a template. When the instrument is required in a new project or whatever simply load the template and all the CC lanes (and Key Switches) are labeled ready for use.

Just a thought

Tony
I like this, maybe you should suggest in Wishlist that we can have such 'maps'.
Like I said, it can be done in RB/PT, but a bit laborious. Would be nice to have re-usable maps like they do already for Karaoke and such. Time saver for a given synth ..
© PG Music Forums