PG Music Home
Posted By: spiro13 Style Picker Problem - 08/24/21 06:47 PM
Hi

My problem is with picking styles. When I type the name of a song in style picker, ex. Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer, the name of the song is underneath. When I choose it, the styles that come up aren't remotely appropriate for the song. I would appreciate help to determine what I may be doing wrong.

Thank you,

Tony
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Style Picker Problem - 08/25/21 01:16 AM
Originally Posted By: spiro13
Hi

My problem is with picking styles. When I type the name of a song in style picker, ex. Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer, the name of the song is underneath. When I choose it, the styles that come up aren't remotely appropriate for the song. I would appreciate help to determine what I may be doing wrong.

Thank you,

Tony

Probably you are not doing anything wrong. Sometimes (often?) the styles listed are not ideal for the song title. They may be just the closest match to the song title you have entered.

Here is another recent post that relates to the same issue.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Style Picker Problem - 08/25/21 04:39 PM
The browser suggestions are based on song characteristics like time signature, tempo and feel. Styles get ranked by the number of characteristics the song and style share. So the highest rated styles should share several characteristics with the song.

Another consideration is the demo song for a style may not give you a good idea how the style will work in your song. The demo songs are designed to showcase capability, not remind you of a certain song.

One "trick" that you may find useful is to create a short chord sheet of four, eight or sixteen bars that reflect an important section of the song. Then when you select the "4 bar preview" option in the "Play Using Current Chord Sheet for Song" you get a much better idea how a style works with the song. Just remember the 4 bar preview is always bars 1 to 4; you can't select which bars to audition. When the 4 bar preview is selected the style you used to create the chord sheet is not replaced while if the option is not checked the style is loaded into the chord sheet for the audition.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Style Picker Problem - 08/25/21 08:08 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Probably you are not doing anything wrong. Sometimes (often?) the styles listed are not ideal for the song title. They may be just the closest match to the song title you have entered.

The Song Title Browser was not intended to have exact matches, given that there are more song titles in the database than there are styles in Band-in-a-Box. What the Song Title Browser does is match styles to a song title based on genre, time signature, "Feel" (swing vs straight, 8ths vs 16ths), and tempo - it just helps you narrow down from thousands of styles to a handful.

Attached picture Song Title Browser.png
© PG Music Forums