PG Music Home
Posted By: Torq2 Start up problem [Resolved] - 09/23/21 04:09 PM
Hi,

I have a problem which started last week, and was wondering if someone could help me please.

When I start BIAB, it loads as a new install. I have to click Control T to get the normal screen back. Then click Shift Control M to get the mixer back. Then go into audio setup and set the audio drivers. It is a real pain.

I have contacted the helpline but they haven't come up with anything yet. I right clicked the desktop icon and ran as admin, then I reinstalled the latest update at their suggestion, but no joy.

I was wondering if anyone here might know what has happened. People here seem to be more knowledgeable with these things.

I am running BIAB 2021 pro on a windows computer. With 03/Sept 842 update.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Start up problem - 09/23/21 04:28 PM
I am going to think about this, since right now I have nothing to even suggest. That's pretty rare!

Can I ask you to elaborate on "it loads as a new install". Is there anything else besides the screens and the preferences you mentioned?
Posted By: Torq2 Re: Start up problem - 09/23/21 04:40 PM
Hi Matt,

I notice that it doesn't remember folders. For example, instead of going straight to the song folder I had opened up previously it goes to the BB folder, and I have to click on the song folder. It does remember all the styles etc, and doesn't ask me to update them as it would if I had just installed the program.

Regards
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Start up problem - 09/23/21 04:42 PM
Torq2,

Was Band-in-a-Box at build 842 on your first install or was your initial installation a lower build and you applied one or more updates?

I suspect your installation settings are corrupt. You can test my theory by temporarily renaming bb/Preferences. BiaB should treat that as a new install and automatically create a new Preferences folder. You will have to redo your Preferences one more time but then you should be able to exit BiaB and it retain your Preferences when it opens.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Start up problem - 09/23/21 04:53 PM
I wonder if a Return to factory Settings will assist. Perhaps something is corrupted in the config file and your desired settings aren't being saved/updated.

In addition, if that doesn't work, with BiaB program closed, you can delete (rename is perhaps better) this file x:\bb\Preferences\intrface.bbw
Then start the program again and see if you have more success.

Optionally, there is another file in the same folder that might be renamed: 'MySetup.DK', but I doubt if this is related.

Edit:
I notice Jim's already on the game while I was looking up the file names.

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Start up problem - 09/23/21 05:10 PM
I may have an idea.

We've seen this before when BIAB was installed into the Program Files folder (or Program Files x86). That has special attributes that make things not work no matter if you have admin privileges.

BIAB defaults to go into the root directory as C:/BB

It does not have to be on your boot drive, but probably should be since many use an SSD for their boot drive. The RealTracks and RealDrums can then be on another larger drive, but you have to specify where in the program.

But it CANNOT be in Program Files.

Does any of this ring true?

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Start up problem - 09/23/21 05:23 PM
The install folder idea is worth exploring, but I notice the O/P mentioned that the problem only started last week. Notwithstanding, maybe an O/S patch update might have changed certain security related settings.
Posted By: Torq2 Re: Start up problem - 09/23/21 06:01 PM
I have fixed it thanks to your suggestion.

I went to rename the preference folder, and found that I had already renamed it to, "preference old", due to a previous problem with the metronome.

It hadn't created a new preference folder, but when I deleted the "old" and restarted BIAB it was back to normal.

I just hope that the metronome problem doesn't come back.

Funny thing, this problem only started last week, whereas the metronome problem was a few weeks ago, and it had been running fine in the meantime.

Thank you all for your help.

Regards
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Start up problem - 09/23/21 06:52 PM
Very good!
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Start up problem - 09/23/21 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Torq2
I have fixed it thanks to your suggestion.

I went to rename the preference folder, and found that I had already renamed it to, "preference old", due to a previous problem with the metronome.

It hadn't created a new preference folder, but when I deleted the "old" and restarted BIAB it was back to normal.

I just hope that the metronome problem doesn't come back.

Funny thing, this problem only started last week, whereas the metronome problem was a few weeks ago, and it had been running fine in the meantime.

Thank you all for your help.

Regards

The metronome issue shouldn't come back if it was a preferences issue. Of course, if it does, feel free to contact us and we're always happy to work out a solution!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Start up problem - 09/23/21 11:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback as this can assist others in the future. Thanks also for marking it 'Resolved'.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Start up problem - 09/24/21 06:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
You can test my theory by temporarily renaming bb/Preferences. BiaB should treat that as a new install and automatically create a new Preferences folder. You will have to redo your Preferences one more time but then you should be able to exit BiaB and it retain your Preferences when it opens.

Just wanted to add, BIAB does not create a new Preferences folder if the original is renamed or removed. In cases like this, it's best to duplicate the Preferences folder then delete the contents but not the folder itself.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Start up problem - 09/25/21 07:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
You can test my theory by temporarily renaming bb/Preferences. BiaB should treat that as a new install and automatically create a new Preferences folder. You will have to redo your Preferences one more time but then you should be able to exit BiaB and it retain your Preferences when it opens.

Just wanted to add, BIAB does not create a new Preferences folder if the original is renamed or removed. In cases like this, it's best to duplicate the Preferences folder then delete the contents but not the folder itself.
Nice to know. Thank you Simon.

Related question. Can you add a blank text file labeled safemode.txt to the Preference folder and the program will act as though you performed a Return To Factory Settings (RTFS)command without erasing preference files?

If so, perhaps a safemode command can be added to options. The command would act as a toggle where enabling the command automatically creates the safemode.txt file and disabling the command automatically deletes the safemode.txt file.

My problem is two fold. (1) I can never remember the name of the three preference files. (2) I forget about safemode until after I respond to a question. Return to Factory settings takes care of my issue # 1 and a safemode command would take care of issue # 2. smile Then I wouldn't have to think anymore!!!!! smile smile smile
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Start up problem - 09/25/21 09:04 PM
Simon, would deleting/renaming the two files:

- intrface.bbw
- MySetup.DK

been likely to have achieved the same result for the O/P?
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Start up problem - 10/05/21 07:29 PM
Nice to know. Thank you Simon.

Related question. Can you add a blank text file labeled safemode.txt to the Preference folder and the program will act as though you performed a Return To Factory Settings (RTFS)command without erasing preference files?

If so, perhaps a safemode command can be added to options. The command would act as a toggle where enabling the command automatically creates the safemode.txt file and disabling the command automatically deletes the safemode.txt file.

My problem is two fold. (1) I can never remember the name of the three preference files. (2) I forget about safemode until after I respond to a question. Return to Factory settings takes care of my issue # 1 and a safemode command would take care of issue # 2. smile Then I wouldn't have to think anymore!!!!! smile smile smile

Typically the relevant files are intrface.bbw and MySetup.dk. As for the safe mode shortcut, having that part of the options menu would not be terribly useful in cases where BIAB doesn't start up at all!

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Simon, would deleting/renaming the two files:

- intrface.bbw
- MySetup.DK

been likely to have achieved the same result for the O/P?

Yup, those are the main ones! I prefer to nuke the entire contents of the folder though, as sometimes those two files don't fix the problem.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Start up problem - 10/06/21 12:21 AM
Perhaps make a batch file for use by those who aren’t skilled at finding and deleting files? Give the batch file a useful name that would imply it’s an emergency restoration when BIAB won’t start.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Start up problem - 10/06/21 07:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Perhaps make a batch file for use by those who aren’t skilled at finding and deleting files? Give the batch file a useful name that would imply it’s an emergency restoration when BIAB won’t start.

+1
Even an internal function that would call the batch and/or delete the necessary files and automatically restart as a secondary option if revert (try) didn't fix the issue. A 'try-harder' option?
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Start up problem - 10/11/21 07:27 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

+1
Even an internal function that would call the batch and/or delete the necessary files and automatically restart as a secondary option if revert (try) didn't fix the issue. A 'try-harder' option?

Not a bad idea, one I've considered in the past. I'll see what I can whip up.
© PG Music Forums