PG Music Home
I have just started watching the "bootcamp" videos recommended by PeterGannon in another post. Because I am a rank beginner, I need to ask some incredibly basic questions to get some definitions and grounding. Thanks for helping me.

I am dealing with "styles". Do I have the idea correct? A Style is a gathering of RealTrack (or other types) instruments to form a "band" along with parameters of tempo, beat, meter etc. When you play it as a demo or apply it to your own entered chord progression, then those instruments and attributes get applied.

The video then discusses "Utility Tracks". Do I understand correctly that these are just available slots where one could add an instrument to the current style? One could then save this altered style as a new user created style?

I'll stop now to keep this question uber simple. I really need just the simplest explanation possible so I can learn just the basics without being overwhelmed.

Thank you in advance!
You described a style as good as anybody so far. Remember though a track can contain a RealTrack, UserTrack, MIDI SuperTrack, Audio Loop, Artist Performance Track, MIDI data and instrument patch or audio.

You will see the terms Legacy Tracks and Utility Tracks a lot in the forum and in videos I suspect.

From 1988 to 2013 Band-in-a-Box had seven tracks; bass, piano, drums, guitar, strings, melody and soloist. The audio track was added in 2014. In the forum these generally are referred to as legacy tracks.

Band-in-a-Box added sixteen (16) additional tracks in 2021. These tracks are labeled utility tracks and are numbered 1 - 16. Utility Tracks had limited functionality as compared to the original, legacy tracks.
Thanks so much Jim!!

I feel like I am getting my feet wet so to speak. Progress!

I liked your filling in the details comments too, with the history behind them. So very helpful without me drowning. LOL.

What nice help you give!
© PG Music Forums