PG Music Home
Facing a melody, there are usually many matching schemes for chords.
Teachers, I want to ask a question. You are choosing the chord hand for a melody. Are there any commonly used patterns in BIAB?
This style is simple, not complicated, and very clear, but it can help us choose chords, and it's the most suitable.
Because, I have encountered situations where some styles are very fancy and change a lot. Even if I turn off all the sounds and only keep a section of the guitar or piano, it still feels unclear.

So, I would like to ask, can you recommend several such styles for me?
thanks!
I think this is a much more complicated question than you realise.

I think that styles will not really help much with that.

There are some common chord progressions that you probably should learn. The easiest is probably the 12-bar Blues, but even that has some variations:

Standard 12-bar blues - Major.
|:I | I | I | I |
| IV | IV | I | I |
| V | V | I | I :|

Standard 12-bar blues - minor.
|:i | i | i | i |
| iv | iv | i | i |
| VI | V | i | i :|

Popular songs (from many eras) tend to use I, IV, V, vi in various orders.

Jazz tends to use ii V I, but also many key-centre changes.
Try pianohld.sty, just held piano chords & metronome. You can also preview your chords by pressing shift + enter on the main window.
Many RealTracks have a SIMPLE option or HELD option the chord progression you enter is your own choice.
You can use ACW if you hear a song with a progressiin you like and want to see the chords.
Originally Posted By: Cerio
Try pianohld.sty, just held piano chords & metronome. You can also preview your chords by pressing shift + enter on the main window.

I just found this style
_popblad.sty
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
I think this is a much more complicated question than you realise.

I think that styles will not really help much with that.

There are some common chord progressions that you probably should learn. The easiest is probably the 12-bar Blues, but even that has some variations:

Standard 12-bar blues - Major.
|:I | I | I | I |
| IV | IV | I | I |
| V | V | I | I :|

Standard 12-bar blues - minor.
|:i | i | i | i |
| iv | iv | i | i |
| VI | V | i | i :|

Popular songs (from many eras) tend to use I, IV, V, vi in various orders.

Jazz tends to use ii V I, but also many key-centre changes.

thanks
Here is a list of common chord progressions that you might like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chord_progressions#:~:text=List%20of%20chord%20progressions%20%20%20%20Name,%20%20Mix.%20%2028%20more%20rows%20

Also google/bing common chord progressions and you will find a lot of sites featuring chord progressions.

I hope this helps.

Edit - typos
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Many RealTracks have a SIMPLE option or HELD option the chord progression you enter is your own choice.
You can use ACW if you hear a song with a progressiin you like and want to see the chords.

"ACW" ????
Audio Chord Wizard
Thanks! blush
© PG Music Forums