PG Music Home
Posted By: Roycol locked melody - 01/08/22 10:19 AM
I have several files where the melody track seems to be locked somehow.
I cannot change the midi instrument, it seems to change, but still plays as 'violin' then when I press 'stop' it changes the instrument back to showing 'violin'

If I change it to a real track, it plays the realtrack, but with violin still playing as well, even though all other tracks are nuted.

Roy
Posted By: rharv Re: locked melody - 01/08/22 12:25 PM
Did you Freeze it?
Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music Re: locked melody - 01/10/22 11:00 AM
Is this an imported MIDI file on the Melody track? If so, it is possible that there is something in the file that keeps it on an instrument.

What build are you using? You can check by going to Help | About Band-in-a-Box. It's the number in brackets after the version year.

You could freeze your tracks and send the song to us for testing: support@pgmusic.com
Posted By: DrDan Re: locked melody - 01/11/22 11:17 AM
You seem to have two problems. Try this fix for the first problem. It may be that the Violin is hard coded as a CC event. You may need to delete this in the midi.

Originally Posted By: Roycol
I have several files where the melody track seems to be locked somehow.
I cannot change the midi instrument, it seems to change, but still plays as 'violin' then when I press 'stop' it changes the instrument back to showing 'violin'
Roy

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: MountainSide Re: locked melody - 01/11/22 08:28 PM
Geez Dan, you taught me something there. I wasn't aware that you could edit MIDI in BIAB. I've always taken it into RB, made the changes, saved the song as an SGU and then back to BIAB.

Old dogs teaching old dogs...I like it!
Posted By: Roycol Re: locked melody - 01/13/22 02:02 PM
I think the midi struments I'm having problem with, is something to do with 'patches?
Is there any videos that talk about 'patches' all I want to do is chang instument to a midi!

Roy
Posted By: DrDan Re: locked melody - 01/13/22 03:55 PM
You change the patch in your midi synth - unless the patch is hard coded as a CC event in your midi file.

So did you look in the CC Event Editor to see if a patch was included in the midi file? If it is, you need to remove it.

Then you need to use your midi synth to assign a new patch. What midi synth are you using?
Posted By: MarioD Re: locked melody - 01/13/22 06:42 PM
I think the midi struments I'm having problem with, is something to do with 'patches?
Is there any videos that talk about 'patches' all I want to do is chang instument to a midi!

Roy

This message confused me. What do you mean by "all I want to do is chang instument to a midi"? Are you trying to change an audio track to MIDI or change sounds in a MIDI file?

Using the prior suggestions to use the MIDI Editor is the way to go if you just want to change MIDI sounds. If the MIDI file is from the Internet or some other outside source you may have to look at every track to find the program change; they are noted for hiding them in other tracks. Once they are gone you can then insert a program change aimed at the sound that you want.
Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music Re: locked melody - 01/14/22 10:59 AM

What colour are your instruments in the mixer window before you try to change them? It would help if you post a picture of your mixer.
© PG Music Forums