PG Music Home
Posted By: dbarrow How to find and get rid of solos? - 01/14/22 04:59 PM
I downloaded a BIAB version of Blue Bossa from an online collection of standards. At the third chorus a piano starts playing a solo and then switches to a trombone playing a solo. Neither of these show up in the mixer so I can't mute them. How do I find these and either delete them of turn them off. I am a relative beginner when it comes to sorting this stuff out in songs written by other people.
Posted By: MoultiPass Re: How to find and get rid of solos? - 01/14/22 06:16 PM
The track generally named Silence? It's a Medley.
Posted By: dbarrow Re: How to find and get rid of solos? - 01/14/22 06:28 PM
I want to clear all solo parts. There is no track named silence. I don't understand your reply.
Posted By: MoultiPass Re: How to find and get rid of solos? - 01/14/22 06:33 PM
During the reading of your solo you pass the tracks one by one in "solo". When you have found the right one you edit the audio, you select the wrong part and you erase. Do not regenerate (you have to freeze the track) because otherwise you recreate the solo.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: How to find and get rid of solos? - 01/14/22 08:06 PM
Originally Posted By: dbarrow
I want to clear all solo parts. There is no track named silence. I don't understand your reply.

The track name shows the first instrument in the medley, it isn't by any means always "Silence".

I guess the medley (probably) is on the soloists track, but you can check by soloing the tracks to identify it.

Then you can click the track in the mixer and select no RealTrack, or no midi instrument and/or track actions->erase to remove whichever parts are appropriate.

I hope all that makes sense when you get there as I don't have BiaB in front of me and that's by memory.
Posted By: rharv Re: How to find and get rid of solos? - 01/14/22 08:12 PM
Is it on the Soloist track?
Do you see it anywhere in the mixer?

If it is from an "online collection of standards" I doubt it is using the new additional tracks feature, so it should be fairly easy to isolate which track it is on by viewing the mixer.

As MoultiPass & Gordon Scott mentioned, you can also start soloing tracks to isolate it. Figure out what track it is on first, once that is known it will be easier to help edit it.
Posted By: dbarrow Re: How to find and get rid of solos? - 01/14/22 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
Is it on the Soloist track?
Do you see it anywhere in the mixer?

If it is from an "online collection of standards" I doubt it is using the new additional tracks feature, so it should be fairly easy to isolate which track it is on by viewing the mixer.

As MoultiPass & Gordon Scott mentioned, you can also start soloing tracks to isolate it. Figure out what track it is on first, once that is known it will be easier to help edit it.

The phantom solos don't show up in the mixer. I can mute or solo one at a timme, all together etc. They seem to exist independently of the mixer. Also what started as a piano solo, then turned into a trombone. Where is that happpening or being told to happpen? If someone handed ypou an unknown BIAB that contained one or more solos how would you identify what they are, where they are and how can you remove them? Isn't there some Youtube video that explains this?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: How to find and get rid of solos? - 01/14/22 10:45 PM
Is it a MIDI song, or at least are some of the tracks MIDI?
If so, there may be a Patch Change in the MIDI data.

You may be able to find it this way, especially making use of filters:

Attached picture 2022-01-12_11-42-12.jpg
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: How to find and get rid of solos? - 01/14/22 10:50 PM
Another idea is to check for Patch Changes in the <F5> bar settings dialog.

Press function key <F5> then press the Print Summary button near the bottom.
It will give you a list of all of the Bar Settings events:

Attached picture 2022-01-15_12-48-36.jpg
Posted By: etcjoe Re: How to find and get rid of solos? - 01/16/22 11:00 AM
The file is most likely a midi file and the solos are on one of the channels. Using a patch change or program change you can have any number of instruments playing on a single channel such as this seems to be. If it is a native BIAB file, .MGU, then you can also save it as a MIDI file to examine it closer. I find RealBand is best for looking at these files, but you can do it in BIAB also.

If you open this file in Realband, you should be able to see every channel as a track. If it is all on one track you can select that track and under the Edit:MIDI menu item you can expand that to have every midi channel shown as a track. To figure out which one is the culprit if it is not labelled as solo or some such, you will have to mute them all and solo one at a time to find it. Once you find it you can just delete it. To learn a little about MIDI if you F2 on that track you will see the events, Program Change is what you are looking for. It will have a value that translates to an instrument 0 to 128 or 1 to 127
Posted By: jford Re: How to find and get rid of solos? - 01/18/22 01:07 AM
If the file is perhaps an MGX, rather than MGU file, then it's probably one of the multichannel tracks on either melody or soloist. You would have to use the BIAB sequencer feature to see it on one of those two tracks.
© PG Music Forums