PG Music Home
Posted By: milianpa Chord Push 1/2 - 02/24/22 05:21 PM
I'm from old era and we did a lot of 1/2 push back then. I don't know what 1/16 and 1/8 push would do musically but half beat push was a normal thing back in the days. Can you do 1/2 push in BIAB by any chance?

Example of 1/2 push would be

DANCING QUEEN by ABBA where they sing
You come to look for a king

|E Gbm .Gbm _ _ |E Gbm .Gbm _ _ | <= Music only part

1) I want to be able to do E Gbm in one beat. If that's too challenging to write the program
2) I like to have at least the second .Gbm pushed 1/2 beat

I've been having this question ever since BIAB came out but only now am asking laugh
My workaround is to manually cut and move the wave audios. But when you are working with a lot of audio tracks and several places, you get frustrated. If they could program to do 1/8 push then 1/2 could be done too, I think. If they offer that capability I'll buy the upgrade in a moment notice. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music Re: Chord Push 1/2 - 02/24/22 05:29 PM
Welcome milianpa! What version of Band-in-a-Box do you have and is it for Mac or Windows? There are only the option for 1/8 and 1/16 pushes. However, you can add multiple chords per beat in the Band-in-a-Box 2022 version with the new MicroChords feature.
Posted By: milianpa Re: Chord Push 1/2 - 02/24/22 05:39 PM
Thanks, Chantelle. I'm using 2019(634) on Windows. I need to check 2022 version for multiple chords per beat feature but I still wish to have 1/2 push.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Chord Push 1/2 - 02/24/22 05:43 PM
If you have a PC and this is what you are looking for then yes it can be done. Just delete the .jpg from the mp3 file or left click on it; left clicking works here.

Edit - as you can see I made a mistake in the chords. It should be E.f#m f#m f#m f#m/E.f#m f#m f#m f#m, but you should see that it does work.

Attached picture Set MicroChords .jpg
Attached File
microchords.mp3.jpg  (9 downloads)
Posted By: milianpa Re: Chord Push 1/2 - 02/24/22 05:59 PM
Hi MarioD,
Is this 2022 version?
Thanks.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Chord Push 1/2 - 02/24/22 06:00 PM
Originally Posted By: milianpa
Hi MarioD,
Is this 2022 version?
Thanks.

Yes
Posted By: DrDan Re: Chord Push 1/2 - 02/24/22 06:07 PM
Wow, I wish I knew what you were trying to do. I just don't follow the 1/2 push thing as that would put the pushed chord on top of whatever chord is already there. I tried to look at the sheet music for this portion of the song and it was not readily avialable. Can you show a picture of the chordal notation you are tying to achieve? Otherwise, possibly Mario has alread figured this out with the new microchords feature.

You likely should have asked earlier... grin
Posted By: MarioD Re: Chord Push 1/2 - 02/24/22 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Wow, I wish I knew what you were trying to do. I just don't follow the 1/2 push thing as that would put the pushed chord on top of whatever chord is already there. I tried to look at the sheet music for this portion of the song and it was not readily avialable. Can you show a picture of the chordal notation you are tying to achieve? Otherwise, possibly Mario has alread figured this out with the new microchords feature.

You likely should have asked earlier... grin

Here is what I think he is trying to do per measure:
1-the first beat is divided into 8th note chords, an E chord on the down beat and F#m chord on the up beat.
2-beats 2, 3, and 4 are all the F#m chord

Interesting is that you have to start each measure with an E chord, then go into the Microchords. I don't know why but it just works that way.

{edit} - I forgot to add that I am assuming that his interpretation of a 1/2 push is putting a chord on the up beat.
© PG Music Forums