PG Music Home
Posted By: SterlingHolobyte how to open song? [Resolved] - 04/01/22 04:26 PM
Okay, this is a very, very beginner question, but it is driving me crazy.
How do you open a saved song that you are working on?

I just installed BIAB and created(started to anyway) part of a song, and when I start up BIAB to work on it again, I can't seem to find a way to open it. I am on a Mac, btw.

If I go to File Open the system brings me to a bunch of folders on my computer. Surely there must be an easier way to open up a project you are working on than having to search through folders to find the project. I was hoping at least a Open Recent option but I don't see that either.

Can anyone help me with this question? I didn't find this question asked in searching the forums so maybe this one can help someone else as well.
Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music Re: how to open song? - 04/01/22 05:06 PM
Could you have possibly previous closed Band-in-a-Box without saving the song first? Before closing your project, always go to either File | Save, or File | Save Song As.

If you remember the name of the file you could search for it in the top right search function of your Finder window and use that to locate what folder it is saved in.
Posted By: SterlingHolobyte Re: how to open song? - 04/01/22 05:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music
Could you have possibly previous closed Band-in-a-Box without saving the song first? Before closing your project, always go to either File | Save, or File | Save Song As.

If you remember the name of the file you could search for it in the top right search function of your Finder window and use that to locate what folder it is saved in.

The first time I saved it using the Save As where I then named it, and the second time I saved it I just hit Save.
I just thought there would be an Open Recent Project or something rather than having to search through folders for my song. Or if there isn't, that is one suggestion I would like to make.
Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music Re: how to open song? - 04/01/22 05:27 PM
There are various options under file | Open Special, such as "Open Previous Song". I just personally like the Open dialogue to see the name of the file before opening it.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: how to open song? - 04/01/22 06:44 PM
Whenever I've done a Save As, on any application, and I then can't find the file, what I do is to start another Save As, because normally that will open in the same place as last time.

The usual reason for not being able to find the file is because the application saved, for example, in some default location that I didn't think of. Generally that's because I didn't navigate to the "right place", I just saved without thinking about it.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: how to open song? - 04/01/22 08:15 PM
Following on from Chantelle...

I like Open Special too, although I tend to favour the "Open Favorite Songs | Recently Played" option. See the image below.

Attached picture open song special recently played recently saved small.jpg
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: how to open song? - 04/01/22 09:05 PM
MacOS might also help with its “Recent Items”.
Posted By: rayc Re: how to open song? - 04/01/22 10:18 PM
What Gordon wrote!
Posted By: SterlingHolobyte Re: how to open song? - 04/02/22 01:25 PM
Thanks all!

I found it first with Open Previous Song as suggested by Chantelle.
And those pictures really helped, Gordon, and I found it under Favorite Songs as well.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Now I can concentrate more on making the music and not scouring the computer for my song projects. smile
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: how to open song? - 04/02/22 07:40 PM
Originally Posted By: SterlingHolobyte
Thanks all!

I found it first with Open Previous Song as suggested by Chantelle.
And those pictures really helped, Gordon, and I found it under Favorite Songs as well.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Now I can concentrate more on making the music and not scouring the computer for my song projects. smile

Glad to hear it! As you may have noticed, there's certainly a few different ways to open a file in the program, so glad you found one that worked best for you!
© PG Music Forums