PG Music Home
Posted By: Jim Fogle 7 Easy To Follow Music Theory Videos - 08/03/22 03:33 PM
+++ HERE +++ is a YouTube playlist of seven short videos about music theory. Four of the videos are built around the circle of fifths and how it relates to a piano keyboard. Three videos explain drum beat patterns and swing versus straight time.
I watched a little of that series the other day and a few more after your post.

For such a small amount of video in small slices, I think these is brilliant.

I think they probably benefit from a non-pianist showing things on the piano as his own unfamiliarity would help take away the apprehension. There's also a surprising amount of good information in a total running time of about an hour.

I liked his comment in the black-notes video about the blues scale, something like "according to western music theory it breaks all the rules and should sound terrible, but it sounds great!". That particular video is largely on the major pentatonic scale and I'm always minded of Bobby McFerrin's superb demonstration of it: +++ Here +++
Posted By: Teunis Re: 7 Easy To Follow Music Theory Videos - 08/03/22 07:09 PM
I found that the Gracie Terzian YouTube videos offer a real good method of learning music theory. She has many excellent videos including what I consider some of the best explanations on the use of Circle of 5ths and how to put scales together. Gracie applies the theory to both keyboard and a uke.

I’ve spent a lot of time in the past week or so looking at Gracie’s videos albeit I’m doing the Guy Michelmore short course on music theory. I find looking a many methods works best for me.

I came across this https://www.randscullard.com/CircleOfFifths/ which is a really good interactive tool that helps really use the Circle of 5ths. You can click on various parts, scales or modes a the circle of 5ths clearly shows the relationships.

Many good options out there.

Tony
© PG Music Forums