PG Music Home
Posted By: E. H. Hackney Choosing melody instrument - 09/22/22 03:26 PM
Now that I'm using BIAB again, it's obvious I know nothing. The melody is always played on vibes and I can't figure out where to change it. I'll bet it's obvious. But where is it?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Choosing melody instrument - 09/22/22 04:05 PM
Originally Posted By: E. H. Hackney
Now that I'm using BIAB again, it's obvious I know nothing. The melody is always played on vibes and I can't figure out where to change it. I'll bet it's obvious. But where is it?

Thanks in advance.

Mouse-click on the instrument in the Mixer then choose 'Select MIDI Instrument' > 'Select General MIDI patch' or choose from a list of Favorite patches:

Attached picture 2022-09-23_5-02-55.jpg
Posted By: E. H. Hackney Re: Choosing melody instrument - 09/24/22 02:36 PM
Sorry to b debse. I did that and it lead me to a long list of instruments. But I still can't figure out how to choose which instrument plays the melody.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Choosing melody instrument - 09/24/22 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: E. H. Hackney
Sorry to b debse. I did that and it lead me to a long list of instruments. But I still can't figure out how to choose which instrument plays the melody.

Please tell me which instrument do you want to play the melody, and I'll try to show you how.
Posted By: E. H. Hackney Re: Choosing melody instrument - 09/29/22 04:18 PM
Okay. The style is _SJAZZC2.STY. The mixer has green bass, piano and drums, and they all seem to be playing correctly. The melody is being played on vibes. Vibes in the mixer is yellow. I tried switching it to sax, with real tracks, ksax was green) but BIAB generated a sax solo that covered up my melody, so I backed that out.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Choosing melody instrument - 09/29/22 04:42 PM
Yellow instrument names means the instrument is a virtual instrument that is playing the data from a midi pattern. RealTracks are audio compositions that ignore whatever preexisting midi data is on a track.

A midi saxophone instrument will play the solo you've written.

Open preferences, Ctrl+E, and select the MIDI Driver button. The pop-up window will display what you have selected for midi instrument playback.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: E. H. Hackney Re: Choosing melody instrument - 09/30/22 01:02 PM
Ahh! Thank you! BTW. When I did what you said, I got a message to disable "use DXi synth" setting if you want to use MIDI driver for all output. I don't know what DXi synth is or where to change it, so I ignored it.

Thanks again, Jim Fogle.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Choosing melody instrument - 09/30/22 04:54 PM
DXI is a Microsoft plugin standard similar to Steinburg's VST plugin standard. The difference is the DXI standard never became as successful as the VST standard. Reaper, Cakewalk by Bandlab and Band-in-a-Box are the only programs I know of that accept DXI plugins.

The TTS-1 soft synth I use for midi playback is a DXI plugin.
© PG Music Forums