PG Music Home
Posted By: E. H. Hackney D.S. al 2nd ending? - 12/05/22 04:40 PM
Is there such a thing in Band in a Box? I use BIAB to make lead sheets and like to keep them to one page/screen if I can and still make it readible.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: D.S. al 2nd ending? - 12/05/22 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: E. H. Hackney
Is there such a thing in Band in a Box? I use BIAB to make lead sheets and like to keep them to one page/screen if I can and still make it readible.

I searched the Help for Dal Segno but it wasn't listed. When I use a repeats, I usually add a tag ending and use Song Settings to jump to the tag ending at the correct point. You can right-click on a cell in the Chord Sheet and choose 'Repeats/Codas/1st-2nd endings', which gives the display shown in the 2nd image below.

The Help shows this:
Quote:
It isn’t important if you (or we) call it a Coda or a tag, the important point is that Band-in-a-Box supports both a coda that occurs every chorus, and one that occurs only on the very last chorus. When we simply refer to a "coda" we are referring to an "every-chorus" coda, and when we refer to a "tag" we are talking about the "last-chorus-only" coda.

You can enter a "Tag" (i.e. Last chorus only Coda), by selecting Repeats/Codas/1st- 2nd Endings from the right-click menu on the chord sheet and selecting [Tag Ending…] button.

You enter a normal "Coda" (i.e., every chorus Coda) by a right-click on the Chord Sheet, then Repeats/Codas/1st-2nd Endings, and then clicking on the required type of DS/DC al Coda.

Attached picture 2022-12-06_7-11-13.jpg
Attached picture 2022-12-06_7-19-06.jpg
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: D.S. al 2nd ending? - 12/06/22 03:21 PM
This may or may not be the answer you're looking. I was classically trained to read music on the printed page and follow the musical road signs so naturally, I tried to do that with BiaB when I first started. That was an adventure in frustration especially the more complicated the musical directions needed to be.

My solution was to simply UNFOLD the song to a single chorus that was linear in it's path. No repeats... simply start at the beginning and go straight through to the end. Yeah, it uses more measures but I have never ever come close to running into the hard limit on the number of measures. Even the longer length songs rarely exceed 50% of the limit.... (Limit is 255 measures IIRC)

Build the song the way you want.... intro, verses, copy and paste for more, choruses, bridges, and the ending.... all in a straight linear line.

I love working in that linear form now.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: D.S. al 2nd ending? - 12/06/22 03:35 PM
And to do what Herb is describing, you can highlight ranges of chords and do a copy/paste. There is also an Edit, Copy Special, From/To command for the MIDI melody and harmony.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: D.S. al 2nd ending? - 12/06/22 04:12 PM
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack

The Help shows this:
Quote:
It isn’t important if you (or we) call it a Coda or a tag, the important point is that Band-in-a-Box supports both a coda that occurs every chorus, and one that occurs only on the very last chorus. When we simply refer to a "coda" we are referring to an "every-chorus" coda, and when we refer to a "tag" we are talking about the "last-chorus-only" coda.

Hmm interesting ... the manual doesn't say that, just "tag (coda)" or "A tag (also referred to as a coda) is a group of bars played in the very last chorus only", which is how I understood it.

I shall try the "Help" version as I've struggled and given up trying to get an "in the very last chorus" interpretation of a coda to work.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: D.S. al 2nd ending? - 12/06/22 04:36 PM
Even in dedicated music notation programs, getting a score to PLAY a DS and take the 2nd ending is difficult or unsupported. I handle that with text directions to the player, such as “Last X, 2nd ending”. That’s also pretty normal for jazz players and standards.

The original request is different from a coda, which I agree BIAB handles as best it can as a Tag.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: D.S. al 2nd ending? - 12/06/22 05:35 PM
I understand the point on unfolding, however, the O/P specifically stated:
Quote:
"I use BIAB to make lead sheets and like to keep them to one page/screen if I can and still make it readible"
so I was trying to find a solution that met this requirement. Most likely 'unfolding' would not be suitable.
Posted By: E. H. Hackney Re: D.S. al 2nd ending? - 12/06/22 11:42 PM
That makes sense. It won't play corectly in BIAB, but that's okay. BTW I saw "D.S. al 2nd ending" in iReal.

Thanks!
Posted By: Island Soul Re: D.S. al 2nd ending? - 12/08/22 03:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
This may or may not be the answer you're looking. I was classically trained to read music on the printed page and follow the musical road signs so naturally, I tried to do that with BiaB when I first started. That was an adventure in frustration especially the more complicated the musical directions needed to be.

My solution was to simply UNFOLD the song to a single chorus that was linear in it's path. No repeats... simply start at the beginning and go straight through to the end. Yeah, it uses more measures but I have never ever come close to running into the hard limit on the number of measures. Even the longer length songs rarely exceed 50% of the limit.... (Limit is 255 measures IIRC)

Build the song the way you want.... intro, verses, copy and paste for more, choruses, bridges, and the ending.... all in a straight linear line.

I love working in that linear form now.

That's the way I have always done it. I did create a song on BIAB using the ds al Coda/Tag and it worked well. Also like you, I am trained to read sheet music.
© PG Music Forums