PG Music Home
Posted By: FoxTerrier Exported MP3 files too quiet - 01/22/23 02:57 PM
I just started creating some tracks and exported to mp3 but the volume was far too low on playback. I needed a quick fix so used Audiolab which worked fine but it's extra work.

What steps do I need to follow in BIAB to improve the output quality.

Windows 10 on PC
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Exported MP3 files too quiet - 01/22/23 02:59 PM
Welcome to the forum. Output quality and output volume are different. Which do you mean? What happens when you export wave audio files?
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Exported MP3 files too quiet - 01/22/23 03:22 PM
Hey FoxTerrier, I'd like to say welcome too.
Here is a vid that I wish I had when starting out with BiaB. It's an hour long but Floyd and the gang were forward thinking enough to put a Chapter Index at the beginning so you can skip to what you may need. Hope it's useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPrejgnwb4M

As for low volume on exported MP3 stems, I run into that too so my process is to import the stems into my DAW (which is where I want to work on them anyway) and the first thing I do is to Normalize them. Then prior to exporting the mix I make sure that my master volume is set just below the point of where clipping happens.
Posted By: FoxTerrier Re: Exported MP3 files too quiet - 01/22/23 05:04 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I've not exported any wav files just mp3 for playing through my phone/tablet into amp. The export quality is fine just too low a volume.
Posted By: FoxTerrier Re: Exported MP3 files too quiet - 01/22/23 05:22 PM
Thank you, I'll watch the video. I use Transcribe and occasionally Audacity so maybe worth trying one of those?
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Exported MP3 files too quiet - 01/22/23 05:39 PM
FT.

1ve no probs with mp3's here.

what pg product are you exporting mp3 from ?

try the pg dx plug in peak limit as an experiment.
it comes with your pg install.

maybe post a pic of your mixer software volume settings and possibly your sound interface settings. does your sound interface have a volume setting ?

what sound device are you useing ??

btw my wife n' i love terrier dogs.

best//welcome.

om

Posted By: FoxTerrier Re: Exported MP3 files too quiet - 01/22/23 05:52 PM
Hi, I've BIAB 23 on PC on W10. I'm not using a mixer or interface just straight export from my PC after creating the track.

I use my backing tracks through a Roland cube amp connected via Android phone or tablet. Simple and easy set up.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Exported MP3 files too quiet - 01/22/23 06:04 PM
FT.
have you tried turning up the volume in the biab mixer instrument trak ...eg drums whatever OR is it set to max already ?? are we talking midi or audio traks ??

if your useing on board pc sound (which i dont recommend if your recording also..)...
look at your pc playback win doze level....it might be turned down in windows settings for playback.

om
Posted By: FoxTerrier Re: Exported MP3 files too quiet - 01/22/23 07:29 PM
"have you tried turning up the volume in the biab mixer instrument trak ...eg drums whatever OR is it set to max already ?? are we talking midi or audio traks ??"

Yes, that just distorts the output.

"if your useing on board pc sound (which i dont recommend if your recording also..)..."

I'm not recording yet and would use a different approach. Just playing MP3 tracks tnrough my amp for live performance

"look at your pc playback win doze level....it might be turned down in windows settings for playback."

There's no problem with play back on my PC from BIAB live, or with other non BIAB MP3.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Exported MP3 files too quiet - 01/22/23 09:03 PM
FT.

assuming mp3's you play outside of biab are fine ie regular win audio i'm at a loss what to suggest.
i would chat with pg support cos all is good here.

best

om
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Exported MP3 files too quiet - 01/23/23 04:53 PM
+1 on the normalize method. If you don't have a DAW that does that, Audacity is free.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Exported MP3 files too quiet - 01/29/23 07:48 PM
Hi FoxTerrier,

I advocate for "Normalize" as well.

If you want to set normalizing in BIAB, just follow the 1, 2, 3 on the image below.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture normalize render 2023.jpg
Posted By: FoxTerrier Re: Exported MP3 files too quiet - 02/06/23 06:13 PM
Hello Noel, thank you for clear advice, that worked much better and improved a few of the mp3s.
© PG Music Forums