PG Music Home
Does band in a box allow you to place 2 chords per beat in 4/4 time? Typically a bar contains 4 beats and a chord can be added on each change of the beat. In my case say you are counting the bar as eighth notes I want to have chord changes on the following beats

/1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &/

How are the chords entered?
The function you are looking for is called micro-chords. It is available if you have one of the latest BiaB programs. That function was added a couple of years ago.

Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaF7kqZu-II
Thanks for getting back to me. Is that available in version 2018?
Like Mario said, it's only been around a couple of years. 2021-2 is when it came out.

You would have to upgrade to make use of them if you have 2018.
Okay thanks for that.
Originally Posted By: Jyde D

No, it was added in 2022.
Microchords are divided into 16ths
One way to simulate eighth notes in older releases is to change tempo and count two cells as one bar.

For example lets say you have a song that has a bpm of 100 bpm and you need eighth notes in bar 4. First at bar 4 use F5 to change the tempo to 200 bpm. Then move to bar 6 and use F5 to change the tempo back to 100 bpm. That gives you eight chords that playback in the same time as four chords in the rest of the song. Next you will need to press F7 at bar 4, highlight a track and change the track timebase to "Half-Time" (I think - I always get half time and double time mixed up). You will need to repeat this step for each track. Last, at bar 6 you will need to use F7 to change every track back to normal time.

Description: F5 Screen with Tempo Change highlighted.
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg

Description: F7 Screen with change instrument time highlighted.
Attached picture Clipboard02.jpg
Originally Posted By: Jyde D

PG Music is having an upgrade sale for the next few days.

BIAB Upgrade Sale thru May 31, 2023, Mac and Windows
Couple of observations.

MicroChords can give you up to 16 divisions per measure but you don’t have to use 16. You could use fewer.

Another approach that is available to you with version 2018 is to expand the Song Form so that the song becomes twice as long, and what used to be chords changing on eighth notes is now chords changing on quarter notes. To make this work requires two things: you can’t exceed 255 measures, and you have to find a style that works at the new tempo.

And Mike has a good suggestion.
© PG Music Forums