PG Music Home
This is a fascinating listen if you are into songwriting whether you write pop or not. It's Michael Jackson testifying in court over a copyright infringement suit against him. The first 12 minutes goes into great detail of how he wrote songs. The whole thing is really quite interesting. Those into songwriting will really enjoy it. smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkzbS5j_WSM
That is very interesting to listen to! Thanks Josie! I love how he would explain something and then sing the part! Man, he was good!!

Oh my God, I have heard this before. It is hysterical!! I LOVED/LOVE this guy.

I know one of his former guitar players and she said he was the coolest and kindest person she has ever met, hands down.

Here is Orianthi, another one, playing Beat it and with Steve Vai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3C-xpkyK_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7b-_YcACuQ
Very cool! I've never seen that before so it's fascinating to watch. What a great share :-) thank you!!
wish there was audio of John Fogerty explaining how "The Old Man Down the Road" was not the music to "Run Through the Jungle" which he also wrote
Fogerty v. Fantasy, Inc
JJJ and Caaron,

So glad you enjoyed it! I loved hearing him talk about how he put Billie Jean together, singing the rhythm - singing and stopping to point out the b section and the contrast in the chorus. It's a real show and tell mini seminar in songwriting with the King Of Pop singing acapella through a court room mic. He also sounds great doing it.

The whole thing is interesting with the occasional other tidbits he tosses in there but I especially loved that part of it too.
Mike,

I think all songwriters borrow from themselves either on purpose or accidentally. It's really easy getting in a rut where everything you write starts to sound samey. Once you get to where you think you know what you're doing it's a pitfall for us unknowns and the greats.

With the music business of the past notorious for pressuring artists to follow big hit songs with a sound a like song it wouldn't surprise me.
Wow! This is great stuff. A real insight into the mind of a famous songwriter. The man obviously worked hard to make his music "right." Very cool.

Thanks for posting, Josie.

Bob
Originally Posted By: Sundance
I loved hearing him talk about how he put Billie Jean together, singing the rhythm - singing and stopping to point out the b section and the contrast in the chorus. It's a real show and tell mini seminar in songwriting with the King Of Pop singing acapella through a court room mic. He also sounds great doing it.

I was blown away at how good he was...just sitting there in a courtroom...singing live and without accompaniment...and perfectly NAILING it!
Thanks Josie,
That was a great listen.
Peter
I've never heard this before, great insight. Thanks for posting Josie.

Jeff
I just wanted you to know I listened to this again today. It's such a rare glimpse into the life of someone I felt I sort of knew, but realize I have never met, or really knew.

He seems very genuine in this to me.

Thanks again for sharing this. I don't know that I would have known of this otherwise!
© PG Music Forums