PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike A Conversation with Roger McGuinn - 11/02/17 11:19 PM
What an interesting video! It isn't often you see interviews with him, or any of the former Byrds members really. It was neat hearing about his influences and how The Byrds and The Beatles exchanged songs way back when.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: A Conversation with Roger McGuinn - 11/17/17 09:47 AM
I really enjoyed this video interview too.

A similar interview with Roger McGuinn many years ago provided me the inspiration to advance into digital recording from the analog world.

In the earlier interview, Roger McGuinn went into much more detail of his discovery of digital recording, his equipment and setup. I recall his recording interface at that time looked to be as large as a small amplifier.

In this interview, he references home recording almost in passing.

His top advice for quality home recording to make tracks that could be made at home and taken into any major studio for use on a commercial recording. Put your money into the microphone. I recall him saying something along the line of his microphone costing the price of a good used car...
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: A Conversation with Roger McGuinn - 11/18/17 04:40 AM
I remember that interview Charlie, it was a good one!

And yes, the point he made about "garbage in, garbage out" is a solid one for sure!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: A Conversation with Roger McGuinn - 11/18/17 11:52 AM
Yes, I was impressed with a lot of gold nuggets from that interview. The overall influence for me was he was the first mainstream artist I had encountered that acknowledged studio quality tracks could be made at home and actually be used in a commercial studio.

I recall thinking at the time that tracks recorded at celebrities home studios were fairly common and that tracks recorded at these home studios were making it into commercial recordings but it wasn't being discussed as common knowledge to the mainstream public.

I've always had it in my head it's the artists and technicians/engineers/producers that provide the quality of a recording rather than the studio equipment and the studio. I've often proclaimed that the Eagles along with producer Bill Szymczyk could use Radio Shack recording equipment and mics and produce a commercial 'radio ready' recording.
What a gem! There's so many good tips and tricks in this interview. This was a really great find that I am sure will be helpful for many.
© PG Music Forums