PG Music Home
THis is just a quick reminder, a lot of great songs are on this forum, and others, Soundcloud, Soundclick, etc. Artists that are doing great songs outside of the big labels. I will buy downloads from these artists much more than from large labels, We can make a difference.
Rebel without a Chorus ?
yeah, sounds like I am the only one who believes this way. HA well a little outside of the box is kinda where I have always lived.
Most of the music I listen to, probably 75%, is music that is posted here on the user showcase forum.
Well I listen to this and Soundcloud, but, mainly I am talking about purchasing music, downloads primarily, so many of the artists here and on Soundcloud put music online for download and they have great material, That is what I mean , supporting them vice always buying the large labels. I also like some of the large label songs not saying dont buy them just be fair.
I have purchased a number of CDs form forum members. I have CDs from Joanne Cooper, Eddie, Matt and a few more that I can't remember right now. My wife really likes Matt's wife Denise Jordan Finley so we have all of her CDs. In the last two or three years I have purchased more CDs from members then from the large label guys.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I have purchased a number of CDs form forum members. I have CDs from Joanne Cooper, Eddie, Matt and a few more that I can't remember right now. My wife really likes Matt's wife Denise Jordan Finley so we have all of her CDs. In the last two or three years I have purchased more CDs from members then from the large label guys.

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

grin cool grin

Regards,

Bob
Thanx Bob. I bookmarked your site and will visit it later.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Thanx Bob. I bookmarked your site and will visit it later.

It was a joke, Mario. Just keeping up with the shameless self-promotion here lately! grin

Regards,

Bob
I think some very good points are being part made here.

For one, I too probably do most of my non-classical listening here on this forum for several reasons.

1.) I like the music better. I like songs that sound authentic and this forum is dripping with authenticity and originality.

2.) Commercial music to me is like a hamburger chain drive through. "We have a cheeseburger and a cheeseburger, and fat with some fat. That's your choice. Take it or leave it." Uh, no thanks.

3.) I like being part of a community of musicians. I don't want to give my money to an institution or people who couldn't care less whether I live or die and offer me a choice between a cheeseburger and a cheeseburger.

4.) This forum is where I have learned to write better over the past four years. I am happy that people are buying my stuff on Amazon and iTunes and stuff, and I also know that without the friends and mentors I have made here, that would not be happening.

So yeah, I plan to stick around. My website is literally busting open at the seams with music now and I have this group to thank.

And yes, I support independent artists and not the machine--but not as a political cause. I just like real music better. I don't like stuff that comes out of the machine.

I agree, David.

To me the music here is more interesting and varied than what you hear on mainstream. And in my case I listen to genres I would never listen to if it wasn't for this forum, and listening to stuff outside your comfort zone can only help you grow as a musician/songwriter.

And now for a little bit of shameless self-promotion so as not to disappoint Bob, I'll have a new song up soon eek cool

On shameless self promotion:

1. My grandmother used to say: "It's a sorry dog that can't wag its own tail."

2. My literary agent says: "When you're pitching a book to a big-time publisher it's no time to be modest."

3. My brother was once the front man for one of the most popular college circuit bands on the east coast. I went back stage after a packed show where screaming females had been trying to push their way up on stage. I asked him his secret. He said:

"Two things Dave.

"#1. Don't ever go up on stage and say good evening ladies and gentlemen, we're the second best band in the world.

"#2. People go nuts when they think something crazy cool is going on and they can be a part of it.

"Remember that Dave."

I say go shameless self-promote with your bad self all you want.
HA HA , you guys are great, now I love this kind of discussion!!!!
For several reasons I don't listen to much music these days but when I do it is almost always something posted here and I am usually blown away by how clever the folk on this forum are. Not only in the use of BIAB but also writing and producing their work.

My two bobs worth

Tony
When it comes to music I like, I'll support the artist no matter what by buying their tracks. Big or small, I very much believe in keeping the music industry alive by paying for the content I want to listen to. I think I am one of the only people I know who still buys CDs and records (new) in support of those whose music I really enjoy.

I still remember going to a concert with my friend to see Passenger back when he only had 10, 000 followers on his facebook. I bought his CD right away at the end of his show, and the next year he came back to town we went again. When I went on to his social media to thank him for the amazing show, he was well over 250, 000 followers in 12 months.

Proof that if you support the smaller artists that they can become big and find the right connections. Whether it's buying their merch, their EPs or paying to see them at a venue it all counts if enough people offer their support and encouragement!
© PG Music Forums