PG Music Home
Hello,

I'm new to BB.

I used notation to key-in the notes to a song using a violin. I want to key-in the chorus using guitar.

My question is when I switch to guitar and key-in the harmony using guitar and playback, only the violin plays. I'm sure I don't understand yet how to do this so when I playback, I can hear both the violin and the guitar at the same time.

Could anyone lead me in the right direction on how to do this?

Thanks,

Ben
Hi Ben,

I see you are relatively new to the forums... welcome!

Am I correct when I interpret your above post to mean that you are using Notation Editor to enter a melody on the Melody track and that the sound you have set the Melody track to (which is MIDI, by the way), is a violin?

Then, when you get to the chorus, you want that violin sound to change to a guitar sound? (This is called a 'Patch Change' in MIDI jargon.)

If that's the case, then read on smile

To do the above...

1. on the Chordsheet, click on the bar that you want the change to occur at

2. right-click and select "Bar Settings" (the shortcut is F5 if you run BIAB Windows)

3. on the row of controls for the 'Melody' track (#1 on the image below), click on the 'Patch Change' button and then select the sound you want (#2).

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture patch change mid-song.JPG
Another option would be to create a completely new track, play the new part, then snip the old part out so only the new part plays in those measures.
I think he means recording melody with a violin, and then recording guitar on a different track. On recording he only hears the violin, on playback both the violin and the guitar. It looks like a monitoring problem, depends on the soundcard I guess, or is there a direct monitor setting in BiaB?
Thanks for the replies.

I entered a song using notation. It defaulted to violin, that's ok.

Now I wish to somehow generate 3 additional harmonies for the song, each harmony to be transcribed so the singers can learn just their harmony part.

Ultimately, I wanted to output all 4 parts to individual midi files so the singers could just listen and learn, then eventually combine and sing together.

I'm stumped on how best to approach this.

I'll start over fresh if someone can lead me in the right direction.
Ben,

Start a new thread called something like "How do I add BIAB's harmony to melody notation".

I'll answer you in that thread.

I suspect that there will be a number of people who would like to know how to do this and they won't find it in this thread because it's about another topic.

Regards,
Noel

© PG Music Forums