PG Music Home
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/14/655833317/la-bamba-american-anthem-ritchie-valens-los-lobos-survival
"pghboemike"...

Every since I was little kid, anytime and everytime I was in the presence of people who were dancing and singing and having fun, very often I would get choked-up simply by seeing and hearing how exuberantly happy they were. Of course, I was too little to explain to a disapproving adult why tears were flowing down my cheeks.

"What in the world are you cryin' 'bout, boy? They're just havin' themselves some fun!" I would hear. I wish I'd been able to articulate what was in my heart. The same thing happens to me, now that I'm older, though not as often.

Music makes EVERYBODY happy, right? No matter what culture it comes from, no matter who performs it. The Hispanic/Latina people in the video would probably be the first to tell anyone about the African influences in their music. The fact that the writer of the article speaks of how the music came out of the legacy of slavery and segregation only validates what that legacy helped them achieve: survival, and that's not a bad thing, is it? Music helps us all survive the trials and tribulations of life, and in that pursuit, at least, "we", everyone, everywhere, are as one...aren't we???

Thanks for posting the video about the song, "La Bamba", "pghboemike"! It was an incredibly instructive and revealing story.

Truly,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage)
© PG Music Forums