https://youtu.be/eIjAoGLr09w

Gary Ewer Watch on You Tube

1. Conversational - common language
2. Balance between narrative and emotion
3. Imaginery
4. Prosody with music
5. Avoid or minimize cliches

Couldn't agree more.
Thanks for sharing this with us Belladonna! Those are definitely traits that can contribute to the longevity of a song. In my humble opinion, I also think songs that can stick around tend to capture what is happening culturally at the time.
I think those are definitely the stepping stones, but on the heels of what Joe has said, timing can make all the difference when it comes to when a song first gets released. This is definitely food for thought.
So how do you explain 'A Whiter Shade of Pale'?
I believe "Whiter Shade of Pale" has great imaginery and there is some conversation. It was put out by a really popular band who had a following and the music is emotional. It was based on some British story that a lot of people over there had a reference for, so I'm not surprised that it was a big hit.
There are certainly exceptions to these rules, but I do think this is a good starting point smile
Originally Posted By: Gary Ewer
But if you look at lists of "Best Ever" songs from almost any era, you're probably looking at a list of songs with the best lyrics.

Not to say he hasn't given good songwriting advice, but... citation needed.

"Probably?"

"I think?"

I could just as easily argue what you really need is to use a name in the title, citing "Louie, Louie", "Ave Maria" and "Waltzing Matilda". wink
© PG Music Forums