5 Characteristics of Great Songs that made it and stay around

Posted by: Belladonna

5 Characteristics of Great Songs that made it and stay around - 01/17/19 08:47 AM

Why Lyrics Matter!!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/eIjAoGLr09w

Gary Ewer Watch on You Tube

1. Conversational - common language
2. Balance between narrative and emotion
3. Imaginery
4. Prosody with music
5. Avoid or minimize cliches

Couldn't agree more.
Posted by: Joe -PG Music

Re: 5 Characteristics of Great Songs that made it and stay around - 01/23/19 09:02 AM

Thanks for sharing this with us Belladonna! Those are definitely traits that can contribute to the longevity of a song. In my humble opinion, I also think songs that can stick around tend to capture what is happening culturally at the time.
Posted by: Ember - PG Music

Re: 5 Characteristics of Great Songs that made it and stay around - 01/25/19 06:44 AM

I think those are definitely the stepping stones, but on the heels of what Joe has said, timing can make all the difference when it comes to when a song first gets released. This is definitely food for thought.
Posted by: mglinert

Re: 5 Characteristics of Great Songs that made it and stay around - 02/11/19 12:59 AM

So how do you explain 'A Whiter Shade of Pale'?
Posted by: Belladonna

Re: 5 Characteristics of Great Songs that made it and stay around - 02/11/19 05:35 AM

I believe "Whiter Shade of Pale" has great imaginery and there is some conversation. It was put out by a really popular band who had a following and the music is emotional. It was based on some British story that a lot of people over there had a reference for, so I'm not surprised that it was a big hit.
Posted by: Deryk - PG Music

Re: 5 Characteristics of Great Songs that made it and stay around - 02/11/19 08:37 AM

There are certainly exceptions to these rules, but I do think this is a good starting point smile
Posted by: dcuny

Re: 5 Characteristics of Great Songs that made it and stay around - 02/11/19 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary Ewer
But if you look at lists of "Best Ever" songs from almost any era, you're probably looking at a list of songs with the best lyrics.

Not to say he hasn't given good songwriting advice, but... citation needed.

"Probably?"

"I think?"

I could just as easily argue what you really need is to use a name in the title, citing "Louie, Louie", "Ave Maria" and "Waltzing Matilda". wink