PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 Some notes about my song "What Do You Say" - 02/13/19 04:30 AM
I really appreciate that a number of people left messages regarding "What Do You Say".

In these posts, and a couple of emails, some people asked questions about various aspects of the song. As a result, I thought that I would create this thread to answer those questions. (It keeps them all in one place and available to all.)

Here's the song...

♫ What Do You Say

If you have a question about any aspect of the song, please make a post in this thread and I'll address it (if I can).

Regards,
Noel
David Snyder asked about what settings I used with Nectar 2 to enhance my vocals...

Here is a link to download the Nectar 2 preset. If you want to run it, put it in the "...\Documents\iZotope\Nectar 2\Presets" folder and it will load into iZotope's Nectar 2.

Nectar 2 preset (XML) used in "What Do You Say"

If anyone wants to try the settings manually, the below pdf visually shows the modules and settings used.

Vocal settings used in Nectar and Reaper (pdf)

Regards,
Noel
A number of people commented on the chord progression.

For that, PG Music deserve most of the credit.

From time to time, I like to work my way through various BIAB MIDI-only styles and listen to song demos. I often find that BIAB's demos can provided a good starting place for a chord progression. I was doing that a little while back and came across the style "SwingBal.sty". When I loaded the demo into BIAB for this style, I generated it and it immediately appealed. The chord progression became the starting place for "What Do You Say".

While the original chord progression was in Db major, I transposed it to Eb major, made a few chord adjustments, added an intro, developed a single-chorus arrangement, and the backing was then good to go.

Here is the original chord PG Music progression that I used as the starting place.

Chord progression for Swingbal.sty (SGU)

Hi Noel,

First let me say I really did like the song. Very "musical" and a style that BB is well suited for.

As I don't have a lot of experience with BB in general, I am still very much in the experimental stage of using the software. New DAW also...Studio One 4.

My questions are more general. I assume most people start a song off in BB. After the basic idea is devised in BB other embellishments can come from other programs or live playing. If I understand correctly that is the method you used.

For me, it is the opposite. I generally have an idea in my head based on a rhythm pattern/drum beat or lyrics. Those things suggest a style. The style suggest the type of chords used. The chords/drums suggest the bass line.The song gets built from the bottom up.

So...a couple of questions.

Was a 1940s styled jazz quintet a type of music you have listen to in the past?

I though your vocals really fit the style. I could close my eyes and see a 1940 singer in a club. Well...what it would look like in this country.lol

What was the thinking process to construct the vocal?

Do you think it is possible to use BB in the way I described?

Cheers,

Billy
Hi Noel

It's got a 'show tune' feel to it. It reminded me a bit of "Baby, it's Cold Outside". I'd love to hear a professional singer sing it and maybe a brass section to fill it out a bit in places. Really catchy song though in my humble opinion. You're much more talented at song writing than you think... grin
© PG Music Forums