PG Music Home
Posted By: lambada Piano Roll etc - 03/03/19 05:57 AM
Really enjoying the flexibility of BIAB note editor etc for writing melody lines using midi. Very impressive.
Posted By: pianowillbebach Re: Piano Roll etc - 04/07/19 12:59 PM
Hi! I'm new to BIAB and MIDI programs in general. How specifically is BIAB more flexible than other options?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Piano Roll etc - 04/07/19 07:54 PM
Hello pianowillbebach,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you want to know more about Band-in-a-Box; however to better answer your question we need more information.

What software programs do you want to compare Band-in-a-Box against? There are very few intelligent automatic accompaniment software programs to compare against.
Posted By: pianowillbebach Re: Piano Roll etc - 04/08/19 07:25 PM
How about musescore and sibelius? Those are two that seem to be very popular.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Piano Roll etc - 04/08/19 10:06 PM
Both Musescore and Sibelius are excellent programs but I don't believe either are automatic accompaniment software. MuseScore, Sibelius and Finale are programs primarily intended to write, format and print music scores. Several forum users use one or more of these programs to print out professional quality music scores.

Band-in-a-Box includes scoring but the scoring capability is different and less sophisticated than these programs. Band-in-a-Box's strength is it has the capability to automatically create accompaniment tracks once the user selects a style, key, tempo and inputs chords.

Let me give you an extreme example. Note: I'm not saying anyone would ever want to create the example I'm about to give, just that a program user can if they want to.

Let's say a user wants to create a Heavy Rock version of the well known children's song, "ABC" or "Alphabet" song. We can do that and it will take just a few minutes, even if you can't read or write music.

First, use the StylePicker to see what Heavy Rock styles are available. There are 212 Heavy Rock styles to select from. Next decide if the time signature is 3/4 or 4/4. We'll use 4/4. Now select even (notes divided evenly throughout a bar or measure) or swing (notes staggered throughout the bar or measure) feel to the song and if the feel is 1/8th or 1/16 note based. I'm selecting 1/16. Another filter is tempo which will be 110 BPM. Do I want RealTracks and RealDrums audio created by top session musicians, SuperMidi which is a MIDI file created by the same musicians, third party audio loops, MIDI loops or MIDI tracks created on the fly by the program? Do you want to use a software VST or DX soft symth or external MIDI hardware sound module to play MIDI sounds when you use MIDI? I'm choosing RealTracks and RealDrums audio by top session musicians. I ended up with 15 styles that fit my filter criteria. Using the StylePicker I can demo each style and view what instruments will be loaded for each track if the style is selected. Also note that if I filled out the song structure before using the StylePicker I can demo using the song chord sheet.

I'll set the song structure for 1 chorus, leave the key at the default of "C" and start entering chords. Once I've entered all the chords, hit play and I'm finished!

One of the most interesting things is you can change the style, song key signature, chords or tempo and press the generate button and the program adjusts. A lot of programs can adjust when the content is MIDI but I don't know many that can with audio content.

The screen shot below shows the StylePicker screen.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
© PG Music Forums