PG Music Home
Interesting to hear an expert talk about Chuck's social messages, which were plenty, but not often discussed openly.
You can dissect all of Chuck Berry's songs all you want but to me it was good old rock n roll performed by the King of Rock n Roll! YMMV
That's sure the way most everyone has taken it for the past sixty or so years, Mario. Lately, though, we have seen growing interest in deeper meanings and symbolism in popular culture. I think that interest is what Freidmann Findesign is speaking to. Yes, after about five minutes he concedes that it took about that long to get in over his head. Hah!
(Probably that "roll over" line.) Certainly, at the time, Chess was flooded with calls to the effect, "Mr. Chess, we'd really rather not our children exposed to ideas of teen sex, drugs, and primal rhythms, quite yet." I attended a Chuck Berry concert at the Cincinnati Gardens in 1957 and can tell you, it was an eye opener to this teen from the cornfields.
As far as the renewed interest in the messages go, You Tube videos have contributed greatly, especially the Laurel Canyon documentary.
Rock on, Mario !
This is a really good find - a really good and detailed dissection, and I've never really listened to Chuck Berry personally but that could change now!

Thanks for sharing smile
Good find but way too intellectual for me. It's very simple, he came up with a great hook with the words, simple as that.

If anybody's not sure about what the term Rock and Roll really means, let me spell it out. Another great Chuck Berry hit:

This is what drove all the Southern Baptists bat [*****] crazy in the 50's. It was the B side of Sweet Little Sixteen which also drove them crazy. Check out these lyrics too:

This was the same time that Jerry Lee Lewis married a 13 year old. The origin of rock and roll was pretty raw actually.

I was a teenager too at that time and absolutely fell in love with this stuff and so did my sisters. Elvis getting blacked out from the waist down on the Sullivan show was about the funniest thing my family had ever seen. What a joke but that was network censorship at that time fueled by that same group.

Bob
Getting blacked out from the waist down was bad but better than the "tux and hound dog" routine on the Steve Allen Show! Even Elvis said it was ridiculous and that he regretted it.

Bud
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

This is what drove all the Southern Baptists bat [*****] crazy in the 50's.
Bob

Not to mention the millions of ignorant, racist, sexist, transphobic, mouth-breathing, paste-eating, opiod addicted, cousin-loving. white trash, alt-right, nazi fascist trump voters.

I don't appreciate messages like this regardless if it is about politics or religion. I have notified the monitors about deleting messages like this. I don't care what religion or view of politics you have messages like this generate hate and we don't need things like this on these forums.
Just speaking about my comment Mario, it was exactly correct. It's only history.

How Christians inspired, condemned and embraced rock and roll

Ed can speak for himself.

Bob
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Just speaking about my comment Mario, it was exactly correct. It's only history.

How Christians inspired, condemned and embraced rock and roll

Ed can speak for himself.

Bob

My comment was not directed at you. Your comment was fact. Ed's comment was demeaning and a disgrace to these forums.
Very sorry, Mario, to have offended you. The remark was intended to be a joke, not taken seriously. I deleted the post and hope the delete took effect. Again, my apologies for having offended you, or anyone else on the forum.
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Very sorry, Mario, to have offended you. The remark was intended to be a joke, not taken seriously. I deleted the post and hope the delete took effect. Again, my apologies for having offended you, or anyone else on the forum.

No problems my friend. I just would hate to see political or religious wars in these very friendly forums. Thanx for taking that joke, which I didn't get, down.
© PG Music Forums