PG Music Home
Posted By: Sundance Murphy's Laws Of Songwriting - 10/26/19 12:41 AM
Ralph Murphy was an award winning multi hit writer, producer, pres of NSAI, NARAS, ambassador for ASCAP, and much more - see links below. He had a website and wrote a book Murphy's Laws Of Songwriting. I always enjoyed watching him on YT and Taxi Tv. Quite a character to watch. (If you were never into number one hits or songwriting craft you won't relate, if you were you'll find some interesting insights.) Sadly he passed away in May. RIP.

https://murphyslawsofsongwriting.com/loving-memory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Murphy_(musician)

sorry can't get both links to work this tablet is screwing up...hard to type on.

Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Murphy's Laws Of Songwriting - 10/26/19 07:31 PM
Murphy's Law kind of tells you everything you already need to know of what to expect from such a thing I imagine, but anybody familiar with it will probably be extra intrigued by Murphy's Law of Song Writing. Anything that can go wrong WILL go wrong is Murphy's Law. I'll be curious to look in to this further once I have some time! Thanks for this.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Murphy's Laws Of Songwriting - 10/28/19 10:47 AM
This is sad news.

I knew Ralph. He helped me immensley. He arranged meetings for me with a bunch of top Nashville publishers trying to get them to hire me for a staff writing position. Over the course of many months, until it finally paid off.

He was a terrific guy and an incredible "friend to the songwriter".

A prime example of that...
Ralph was a Vice President at ASCAP. He heard a few of my songs at a writer's night (He was the featured writer that night). As I walked off stage, he motioned to me and asked "What's happening with your songs". I told him that much like everyone else... "Nothing".
He told me to call and make an appointment to come to his office to play him more stuff.
I told him that I was signed to BMI, not ASCAP.
He said "I don't care."

And he then proceeded to work on my behalf as much or more than anyone had to that point.
Needless to say, once my BMI period was up, I joined ASCAP.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Murphy's Laws Of Songwriting - 10/29/19 09:25 PM
Floyd,

That's a fantastic story that says a lot about the kind of man Ralph was. It sounds like he was all about the song and didn't let "little" things like work get in his way. A big loss to the industry I'm sure.
© PG Music Forums