PG Music Home
Please tell me if this belongs in another forum - I asked around and it sounded like the right place.

I'm working on this phrase that I cooked up with BIAB and using some VSTi synth guitars, and I'm kind of partial to it and have a number of ideas for expanding on it, but I have the dreaded feeling that it's just a variation on some piece of a famous work. So I wanted to toss it out here for some feedback. I'm also interested to hear if there is too much discordance in the note combinations. I tend to lean toward a degree of discordance in my compositions, but I'm just really trying to get more tension and drama out of it. I've found some great references to some music theory videos on this forum, but I haven't had a chance to digest it and apply it yet.

Note - it's still a bit messy and the timings are not quite there, but I wanted to get this initial feedback before I really put some work into it.

Any input is appreciated - thank you.

https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494/guitar-anthem-phrase/s-UXqie
Hi Ed,

The descending bass line and the chords used to support it are not uncommon but there is no problem with that since it is accompaniment and can be found across both a number of classical and popular pieces of music.

As I listened, there seems to be a melody sitting on top of the harmony. It was hard to hear. Because of that, I can't say whether it's familiar or not.

Regards,
Noel

I agree with Noel's assessment. Seems like a typical (generic) chord progression and does not bring to mind any specific song. Of course, we all have a different backlog of reference tunes in our memories, over the many years of listening - no one could know them all...
I agree. This is a very common chord progression. I could not hear all of the lead either but what I did hear did not remind me of any particular song.
Thank you gentlemen for your time and thoughtful feedback - that is perfect. You pointed out a couple things which I had not thought about which are very helpful too.
I agree.... it's a very common progression and the melody behind it was nothing that would cause issues.... bouncing on 2 notes is what I heard..... and finally what sounded like a major scale up at the end.
© PG Music Forums