PG Music Home
Posted By: Will Josef A question about lyrics and copyrights - 01/08/20 09:57 PM
I really would like to make a song out of a poem from Charles Baudelaire. That is not a problem because his works is PD, but what if I want to make an English version? Do I need to find a translation that is at least 95 years old as well?

I guess translations are copyrighted, but I am not sure?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Will
Posted By: Noel96 Re: A question about lyrics and copyrights - 01/08/20 11:21 PM
Hi Will,

Here's my take on it (please keep in mind that I'm not a copyright lawyer)...

If the translation is a line-by-line translation that simply interprets what's written, you probably have some copyright freedom. After all, it would be easy enough to get hold of someone who speaks French and ask them to do a line by line translation. Google could even do this for you.

If the translation is a re-creation of the poem with it's rhyme scheme and meter preserved but just written in another language, then the translator has gone to a great deal of trouble and there would be copyright on this.

Regards,
Noel

The original work is what gets copyrighted. So to translate it into a different language is not a problem.

There might be a grey area as Noel suggests, however, if you don't use the translated version, and alter it to fit the groove of the song you are writing, you should be well within the safe area. Most poems do not translate to song lyrics directly. Most require some sort of adaption to make it work as a song and if you are coming from another language.... absolutely.

Why not consider the original language and then your version of the translated into English version? There are a number of songs that come to mind that have both languages in them. Even doing the same verse in the original and English....

This>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu9MoFrwqgg However, the Spanish singing is NOT what they are showing on the screen. Not even close. If they were trying to translate it, they failed big time. But the point it the 2 languages used together.
Hi Herb and Noel,

Thanks for the answers and the good example from YT, Herb.

I think I will make a "free" translation and interpretation myself... I know some French... and have word books and Google that can help me with the rest. Because the translation I had in mind is clearly a re-imagined version of the poem.

Thanks a lot for helping me out!
Will
Posted By: edshaw Re: A question about lyrics and copyrights - 01/09/20 11:03 PM
Google translator is a great idea. Is it possible for the ordinary citizen to obtain copies of all known translations? It is possible someone has already done a line for line and claimed it.
Posted By: dcuny Re: A question about lyrics and copyrights - 01/11/20 05:44 PM
Translations are copyrighted, as they are more than mechanical transliterations from one language's word to another language's word. This generally holds true for any sort of literary work.
Surely you could then make your own translation and then you’d have that copyright? You would just need to make it did-fervent from others. This is a very interesting question and I am only guessing.
© PG Music Forums