PG Music Home
Posted By: LPman Toy Music Theory - 04/29/20 01:07 PM
Hi all,
It's been a long while since I've made a post. I am working on a project called toy music theory.

I took an audio cappella of someone singing House of the rising Sun. I was looking for
replacement chords that would fit along to the singing of this song.

I came up with 12 variations of 5 chords
that worked, some more Jazzier than others.

This was done on an electric piano. The compact chords are made for small fingers.

The full toy music theory requires a memory mind palace. Although it is my intention to demonstrate this more compact version.

Link below

Toy Music Theory - house of the rising sun.jpg

Attached File
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Toy Music Theory - 04/29/20 02:29 PM
LPman,

Why is it called Toy Music Theory? How does that differe from regular theory?

I just don't get the idea from the images. What am I missing?
Posted By: LPman Re: Toy Music Theory added folder - 04/29/20 04:45 PM
Over a year ago I found a rap song that I put through BiaB. I noticed that the song was really just two chords Emj & Bmn. I removed the Bass on his song, added a guitar BiaB track with just Emj & Bmn looping through whole song.

When I would jam (piano) with this song on my phone I notice I could modulate progressions in all the wrong keys, for a short period of time. So I made a library of chord progressions to explore modulation to different keys, that would go with this Emj & Bmn looping song. The rappers voice kept the beat of the song fresh ( as a dynamic metronome)

Toy Music Theory is different. The melody, " house of rising sun " could be played with 5 different tonics, without changing the pitch of the melody. Tonic A, Tonic C, Tonic D, Tonic E, Tonic F#

I want to study all key modulation progressions tethered to this Emj & Bmn looping song. Creating a big dynamic multi-key zone. Toy Music Theory is the study of 1 of the 12 big multi-keys configuration.

I am trying see Key modulation as a "singularity". Everything is written in sharps, without dividing keys into major and minor keys.... or
7 degrees modes.

Toy Music Theory is not about spelling or ear training....

It's about unconscious spontaneous on-the-fly muscle memory.

And I probably did again, a really bad job explaining this...

A House of the rising Sun folder was added. It has all 12 versions in mp3 and MIDI. That would mean you could take all 12 midi's and mix them up to make a new version of your own. This could end up being a new software program for kids to explore predetermined chords that go to vocals.
I made block chords to make this as simple as possible would love to hear from anyone who explores this!

I would really love it if Peter Gannon would look at this project.
© PG Music Forums