PG Music Home
Posted By: Icelander What would you call this chord? - 05/02/20 04:18 PM
Ok, I could be asking in the wrong foru but this seemed like a best fit, so here goes:

I accidentally hit the wrong note in theBig Piano interface, only to really like what I got, but I haven't got a clue what the resulting chord is called:

C-Eb-Gb-B where the C note is the root.

p.s. And before you ask, I no longer have any external thing to make this chord on for the straight forward "Play Current Chord" method, so I haven't found any way to actually enter this chord into the Chord Sheet (since I don't have a name for it!).
Posted By: sixchannel Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/02/20 04:45 PM
If we were friends I'd call it 'mate'.
Otherwise - Cmm7b5
Fun chord on a guitar - Not!
Bests
Ian
Posted By: Icelander Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/02/20 04:55 PM
Very good, though that wouldn't fly inside BBox when I tried just now, nor would my own wacky "CdimMaj7" suggestion... so I guess this one is not a "fun" one for the program either, much like with your guitar smirk
Posted By: floyd jane Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/02/20 05:05 PM
B/C

...might give you the sound you are looking for - if BIAB will play that...
Posted By: Icelander Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/02/20 05:33 PM
Ah yes, the trusty "root note" trick, of course! smile

Interestingly, I've just discovered that (at least for midi) it will not play a slash note on the endings confused

... something for PG to look into.
Posted By: MarioD Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/02/20 05:39 PM
Or Cdim/B!

Or B(b9)!
Posted By: Icelander Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/02/20 05:51 PM
The root note would be wrong in the latter of those, Mario, plus I don't think BBox accepts a flat9 without a 7th of some sort.

EDIT: And the first suggestion, while a seemingly simple one, it's also not with the intended root (now that I had another look at it), sorry smirk
Posted By: DrDan Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/02/20 09:39 PM
Played in that inversion C-Eb-Gb-B on piano is a BMajb9
Posted By: Icelander Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/02/20 10:07 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Which is why I made a point of specifying the intended root note as a vital part of the definition.
I am thus essentially asking what would you call this C chord... to which my own proposed CdimMaj7 (or the more obscure CmMaj7b5 suggestion) would fit the bill the most of the above. It's just that BBox has apparently never heard of it.

p.s. It's actually never heard of of some quite more straight forward ones either, I might add, such as Cm7b9 to pick just one off the top of my head...
Posted By: DrDan Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/02/20 10:21 PM
Ya, this seems to be one of those times it becomes evident that BIAB is not the tool to use if you need to define voicing of a chord. So some midi workaround with freezing the track and then editing in the Piano roll would be needed.
Posted By: MarioD Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/03/20 09:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Which is why I made a point of specifying the intended root note as a vital part of the definition.
I am thus essentially asking what would you call this C chord... to which my own proposed CdimMaj7 (or the more obscure CmMaj7b5 suggestion) would fit the bill the most of the above. It's just that BBox has apparently never heard of it.

p.s. It's actually never heard of of some quite more straight forward ones either, I might add, such as Cm7b9 to pick just one off the top of my head...

There is a chord called Cdim(Maj7) so your proposed chord is real:

https://www.scales-chords.com/chord/piano/Cdim(maj7)
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/03/20 01:09 PM
Eddie,

I used PG Music's +++ Piano Chord Dictionary +++ and obtained the results shown below. Based on those results the most likely name is B7b9. Note the Gb was changed to F# since the dictionary does not accept Gb in this instance.

I hope this is helpful.

Description: PG Music Piano Chord Dictionary results for C Eb F# B with C root.
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: Icelander Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/03/20 01:53 PM
Ya, this seems to be one of those times it becomes evident that BIAB is not the tool to use if you need to define voicing of a chord. So some midi workaround with freezing the track and then editing in the Piano roll would be needed.
Indeed, but obviously provided that one is going by midi in the first place! That particular issue becomes all the more pronounced when it's Realtracks smirk
Posted By: Icelander Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/03/20 01:59 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
There is a chord called Cdim(Maj7) so your proposed chord is real:

https://www.scales-chords.com/chord/piano/Cdim(maj7)
You know, that actually doesn't surprise me one bit, much like I'm quite confident in that the aforementioned Cm7b9 is equally real (and a hoist of others not found within BBox). They both are, as I said before, pretty straight forward, and one has to wonder sometimes about seemingly arbitrary exclusions like that within BBox's data.
Have thanks for that link reference, though, that's one for my bookmarks for sure cool
Posted By: Icelander Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/03/20 02:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Eddie,

I used PG Music's +++ Piano Chord Dictionary +++ and obtained the results shown below.
That reference only makes me wish they'd offer this thing for Mac! smirk
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/03/20 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Eddie,

I used PG Music's +++ Piano Chord Dictionary +++ and obtained the results shown below.
That reference only makes me wish they'd offer this thing for Mac! smirk

Thanks for mentioning that Eddie.

I browsed through the Mac portal to find the link I provided thinking PG Music offered the program for Windows and for Mac. Evidently they don't and I didn't realize it until you posted your response.

Perhaps it's time for another wishlist request?
Posted By: Kajun Jeaux Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/05/20 01:27 AM
Ebm6#5
Posted By: Kajun Jeaux Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/05/20 01:35 AM
If you're going to try to use it in BIAB you'll have to use Ebm6
Posted By: Noel96 Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/05/20 03:59 AM
BIAB as Ebm#5 so combining this with Kajun Jeaux's answer above, it's worth trying Ebm#5/C.

Out of curiosity, what key is the music in at this point in the song?
Posted By: Icelander Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/05/20 12:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Out of curiosity, what key is the music in at this point in the song?
I set it to Cm, although the intended scale is Locrian.
I have actually already completed and submitted the song, in case you're "curious" enough: https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=595731

I had planned to use that elusive chord for the ending only, but I ended up not using it at all, since it turns out that BBox cannot deal correctly with slash chords for the ending section in the first place (something I did not know until this li'l experiment, btw, and I've reported that as a glitch).
Posted By: LPman Re: What would you call this chord? - 05/12/20 03:33 AM
G#7(#9)/C ( root omitted )
Is how I would use this chord...
© PG Music Forums