being an old muso on a pension interested in
merging orchestral sounds /instruments with
ROCK (ROCK OUT PEOPLE lol) .
i want inventive/cheap/large range of orchestral
instruments THAT DONT SOUND LIKE SAMPLES
to complement my biab / reaper set up.
tha nks
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: instrument libs. - 05/14/20 10:02 AM
Do you mean you are looking for loops, MIDI patches, etc? Perhaps if you elaborate we could advise better. smile
Posted By: DrDan Re: instrument libs. - 05/15/20 09:20 AM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso

i want inventive/cheap/large range of orchestral
instruments THAT DONT SOUND LIKE SAMPLES
to complement my biab / reaper set up.
tha nks

How about Free? Does that work for you?

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=597105#Post597105

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover/
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: instrument libs. - 05/15/20 09:04 PM
got enough midi .
need good sample libs.
problem ive found talking to some
musos is everyone buys the nice
orch libs so a danger of all
sounding same.
frankly ive started makin my own sounds.
Posted By: DrDan Re: instrument libs. - 05/16/20 12:58 PM
got enough midi .
need good sample libs.
problem ive found talking to some
musos is everyone buys the nice
orch libs so a danger of all
sounding same.
frankly ive started makin my own sounds.

OK, if the Spitfire BBC offering is not your cup of tea. No problem, but I am confused about what you really are looking for? These are not midi synth sounds but do require a midi controller/keyboard. These are very well respected recordings of actual live orchestral instruments. I think the term "orchestral library samples" is exactly what these are. And regarding sounding all the same, this library (like all the upper end stuff) allows you as composer and arranger to control articulations via external midi controls. And oh, by the way, how are you making you own orchestral sounds?

Here is a guy working with this specific orchestral library https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjOS4AfqoEs&t=1360s

Perhaps if you want to continue your query you need to clarify for us what Deryk suggested..

Quote:
Do you mean you are looking for loops, MIDI patches, etc? Perhaps if you elaborate we could advise better. smile

Anyway, good luck in your music making.

Dan
Posted By: Teunis Re: instrument libs. - 05/16/20 06:26 PM
I’m a little confused. How do you intend to play these “realistic sounding samples” if not using MIDI. Recently I’ve spent a lot of time playing around with Kontakt and am blown away by the vast array of samples available. However, in order to get the samples to play MIDI is a must as I understand it. That is how Kontakt knows what to do with the samples. It is also vital the samples are put into Kontakt correctly to get the best out of the samples.

It is easy to make really great samples sound very so so by poor use of MIDI or incorrectly setting the sample configuration in Kontakt. This however is neither a failing of MIDI, Kontakt or the samples. Usually I find it is my own misunderstanding of a part of the process. (The same applies to a lot of VSTi plugins).

These are my thoughts.

Tony
Posted By: DrDan Re: instrument libs. - 05/16/20 06:38 PM
Muso, you have succeeded in confusing folks in three countries on two continents. grin
Posted By: Teunis Re: instrument libs. - 05/16/20 06:44 PM
MusicStudent, you mentioned the FREE Spitfire BBC orchestra. This video by Guy Michelmore (someone that really knows his stuff). Says this about the free version and does a short comparison.

https://youtu.be/9RO0xiXH9Cg

He also does a video on how to use the Free library but I’ve not looked at it.

Tony

Edit: a quick look it might really be worth looking at Guy Michelmore using the free orchestra. https://youtu.be/HjOS4AfqoEs

Tony
Posted By: DrDan Re: instrument libs. - 05/17/20 10:01 AM
Ya, thanks for shout out to Guy. I am a subscriber to his Youtube page. I have dabbled in this type of orchestration for a year or two. Hoping to do more of this in the future. He has been very inspirational for me.

I especially liked his comments on the pricing of the free package; "who would pay 49 pounds when it is free? ...someone who can't wait 2 weeks for delivery!" I am comfortable enough in my own masculinity to say that I find Guy extremely cute crazy .

By the way, I ordered my free version just over a week ago! I have more patience then money these days. grin
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: instrument libs. - 05/18/20 08:36 PM
i have midi kbds been using midi
since my birth lol.
just looking for uniqueness.
what bout garritan libs ??
Posted By: dcuny Re: instrument libs. - 05/26/20 04:12 PM

It would be helpful if you provided some idea of what kind of sound you're trying to create, and what sort of orchestrating skills you've got.

Being inventive with orchestral libraries is more a matter of mixing interesting tonal colors - the orchestration bit - than relying on the library samples to be unique.

Most inexpensive orchestral libraries are going to stick with traditional articulations, so you're not going to find a lot of off-the-wall sort of stuff.

The GPO5 library is an older but it's still serviceable as an entry-level orchestral library. Like most things musical, it's more a matter of what you do with it.

GPO5 includes their Garritan Orchestral Strings, so you've got a variety of techniques, including:
  • Col legno
  • Detache
  • Lush forte
  • Martele
  • Pizzicato
  • Sfz
  • Spiccato
  • Staccato
  • Vibrato

These sounds aren't particularly unique, and they aren't close to comprehensive. Plenty of interesting string sounds (such as falls and scoops) aren't included.

So why you're complaining about people using the same sounds, and then suggesting using GPO is a mystery to me.

Unless you're perhaps thinking of the Garritan Instant Orchestra?

Again, some idea about:
  • What kind of sound you're going for;
  • What specific orchestral colors you're after; and
  • What skill you have as an arranger.
would all be helpful.

btw
ee cummings is good
full sentences
with details
is better
punctuation hard ??
mind reading
harder
Posted By: Peter K. Hewer Re: instrument libs. - 06/25/20 01:59 AM
This is a link to The 225 Best Free VST/AU Plugins in the World! (2020). This is a vetted list and the site is trying to help those who want to do home recording.

https://thehomerecordings.com/best-free-vst-plugins-in-the-world/

One thing is for sure that the Spitfire stuff is top quality and free if you want. The 225 Best Free VST/AU Plugins in the World! (2020)
Posted By: MountainSide Re: instrument libs. - 06/25/20 08:46 AM
Wow, that's quite a list! Lots of goodies to check out. Thanks for posting.

Jeff
Posted By: DrDan Re: instrument libs. - 06/25/20 09:13 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny

btw
ee cummings is good
full sentences
with details
is better
punctuation hard ??
mind reading
harder

David, This is an excellent observation on your part. We see this cryptic style verbiage often in the forums. I always attributed this to either a language barrier or an education issue. But you have now pointed to the unique literary stylings of this famous american poet as a possible contributing factor. grin Suddenly makes our forum here sound a lot more classy...

"...life's not a paragraph And death i think is no parenthesis" cc cummings
Posted By: Peter K. Hewer Re: instrument libs. - 06/27/20 12:59 AM
Thanks Music Student for the free Spitfire link.
Posted By: MarioD Re: instrument libs. - 06/27/20 09:48 AM
i have midi kbds been using midi
since my birth lol.
just looking for uniqueness.

Google/Bing orchestra loops. There are a lot of them and many are free.
© PG Music Forums