PG Music Home
Posted By: George_H My girl ? [Resolved] - 05/29/20 01:12 PM
I am having trouble creating this song and would appreciate any advice
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: My girl ? - 05/29/20 02:09 PM
Most songs like this have what are called "Signature Licks" and unfortunately, BB will not recreate those for you. You have to play those yourself somehow or another.

A few years back, an individual hired me to record the backing tracks for the song Southern Nights. I used BB for a number of the tracks but it was necessary for me to play the signature lick on my guitar and keyboard to get the song sounding like everyone knows it.

I don't doubt that you will need to do something similar to cover the song you referenced.

There is an online library of songs made for BB that has thousands of hit songs in it. I don't use it so I don't know the website address. Perhaps someone else will see this and give you that site. It might save you a lot of time.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: My girl ? - 05/29/20 02:18 PM
It's likely you have this MIDI Style in your BIAB package - Temptns2.sty

Load the Temptns2.sty demo and you will have a good start on creating "My Girl" song to your BIAB Chord Chart.

Alternately, if you don't have this particular Style, locate and download a free MIDI file of the song and obtain the same results.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: My girl ? - 05/29/20 02:26 PM
There is a large download zip file in the forums somewhere that contains several hundred SGUs of cover songs (I can't find it - perhaps someone else can point you to it). (Tony's BIAB Cover Songs)

It has a version of My Girl included... should give you a good start...
Posted By: George_H Re: My girl ? - 05/29/20 03:57 PM
Thanks to all for your advice.
I got into BIAB 2019 version for Windows to try to create backing tracks for my duo ( he plays keyboards, I play guitar). I have since upgraded to the 2020 version. I thought it would add depth to what we are doing. So far I have got at least 120 songs done and he keeps throwing more at me. It is not my intent to try and duplicate songs note for note, etc. I just want the feel to be there.
With "My girl" I started out trying to get the soul feel but couldn't quite get it right. There are a lot of notes that appear on the & between the beats that BIAB doesn't offer as of yet. So I found a POP style that will give the song an edgy feel which is fine ( I just hope the keyboard guy likes it):-) In playing guitar I am typically a rhythm player but I've had to learn some simple leads to fill in wherever I can. I rely heavily on youtube to find lessons, etc. and this has been very helpful.
So far, BIAB has been a very good tool, although it does have limitations.
This has been my first foray into the forum section but I can guarantee it won't be my last.
Thanks again
Posted By: floyd jane Re: My girl ? - 05/29/20 04:08 PM
George - PM me an email address for you and I will send you Tony's SGU for "My Girl"
© PG Music Forums