PG Music Home
Posted By: redShed Omit notes - 08/04/20 10:24 PM
Does BIAB allow you to omit certain chord notes? Watching that Girl from Ipanema youtube video got me thinking.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Omit notes - 08/05/20 02:36 AM
Hi there!

For Realtracks, the chords are determined by the notes that the musician plays. Since they are audio files, it's challenging to modify them.

After a MIDI style is generated, it's possible to add/remove notes to the chords generated. This is much easier that working with audio. If the modified track is frozen, the changes are then saved.

There is no setting in BIAB that allows a user to select which notes the user would like played in a chord.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Omit notes - 08/06/20 10:16 AM
If you have melodyne polyphonic version, you can easily remove notes from a chord.

It's easier to remove notes than it is to move them to the correct note in a chord in the version I have. Of course, my version is an older version and I'm thinking those German engineers have figured out a few things since this version was released. But yeah, removing a note is no big deal.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Omit notes - 08/06/20 10:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
It's easier to remove notes than it is to move them to the correct note in a chord in the version I have. Of course, my version is an older version and I'm thinking those German engineers have figured out a few things since this version was released.

Melodyn continues to be enhanced. I was pleasantly pleased with the workings of Version 5 which I picked up recently. The improved performance and user experience was Worth the upgrade for me. grin
Posted By: MarioD Re: Omit notes - 08/06/20 11:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
If you have melodyne polyphonic version, you can easily remove notes from a chord.

It's easier to remove notes than it is to move them to the correct note in a chord in the version I have. Of course, my version is an older version and I'm thinking those German engineers have figured out a few things since this version was released. But yeah, removing a note is no big deal.

Version 5 makes it easy as you have an option of having the notes of a chord highlighted or the notes of a scale highlighted. By highlighted I mean those keyboard notes are in white while the others in light gray. Also version 5 will import the chord charts from your DAW. You might want to check out the videos of version 5.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Omit notes - 08/07/20 03:46 PM
I've got version 2 and with my 32 bit OS.... I'm limited on the upgrades and software that will actually work in my system.

One of these days, I will break down and move to a 64bit OS. My computer and hardware will actually support it but I hold off because it means reworking all of my software and going through that process..... and I have a philosophy that says.... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Omit notes - 08/07/20 09:38 PM
As Noel said, Real Tracks are recorded audio, so it all depends on the repertoire of chords that were recorded when they were recorded. The Chord Builder has a large collection of alternative chord types, some of which leave certain notes out by their nature. An X5, for example, is a "power chord" and AHOULD leave out the 3rd. No third, no clear major or minor tonality.

Add in slash chords--X/X--and you can apply a new root to another chord. That new chord may not be in the repertoire of any given Real Track, but (assuming the bass doesn't play it naturally) the bass can be forced to play the new root and the "chord" will sound in the arrangement, if not in a single instrument.

Put these things together (and others you can think of) and you can get to ideas for ambivalence in composition.

Anyway, just encouraging a musician to not totally rely on how technology works, but remember how music works. There's more than one way to name and/or alter a chord and more than one way to skin a mule.

Have fun.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Omit notes - 08/07/20 09:39 PM
Question for you: What is WWQ music?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Omit notes - 08/09/20 12:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Question for you: What is WWQ music?

I have no idea, but while a search found lot's of would-be WWQ's and no foundation, I did find it mentioned in this link
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Omit notes - 08/09/20 04:31 AM
Thanks. I'm gonna guess "Wood Wind Quartet" then.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Omit notes - 08/09/20 01:39 PM
I think you are pretty close. I'm not sure why they need to be so cryptic though in the first place. crazy
© PG Music Forums