PG Music Home
Posted By: Pithecanthropus Bombastic Real Tracks Suggestion - 09/15/20 03:03 PM
I'm looking for some real bombastic traditional jazz tracks. Think Tony Williams, Ron Carter, and Herbie Hancock going at it with ferocity. Everything I have is just too tame. Can anyone point me at a Jazz RealPAK that might fit my needs?
Welcome to the forums smile

I'm not very familiar with this Style of music offhand - BUT what could be helpful, is in the top right hand corner of the StylePicker there's a feature you can type in a popular song title or music artist, and it will give suggestions on Styles to use based on said song/artist. For example, I typed in 'Herbie Hancock' and then chose Chameleon and it gave me some Styles as suggestions based on time sig, feel, genre, etc of that song. This might help narrow down your search. smile

Or maybe if you link some Youtube videos with more concise examples, users here could better assist. The Style library is sitting at a few thousand now so it might be tricky though.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Bombastic Real Tracks Suggestion - 09/19/20 10:06 AM
The Style Picker lists several suggestions for Herbie Hankock and Tony Williams.
Posted By: robsmusic Re: Bombastic Real Tracks Suggestion - 09/19/20 11:06 PM
Could this be something like what he is looking for?
check out Tony Williams in this video:

https://youtu.be/F-Vc8y1doyw
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Bombastic Real Tracks Suggestion - 09/27/20 04:17 PM
Greetings! Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box.

+++ HERE +++ is a great forum location to post suggestion for RealTracks. Posting +++ HERE +++ gives other forum members a better opportunity to add their support to your request.
Posted By: Pithecanthropus Re: Bombastic Real Tracks Suggestion - 10/01/20 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Welcome to the forums smile

I'm not very familiar with this Style of music offhand - BUT what could be helpful, is in the top right hand corner of the StylePicker there's a feature you can type in a popular song title or music artist, and it will give suggestions on Styles to use based on said song/artist. For example, I typed in 'Herbie Hancock' and then chose Chameleon and it gave me some Styles as suggestions based on time sig, feel, genre, etc of that song. This might help narrow down your search. smile

Or maybe if you link some Youtube videos with more concise examples, users here could better assist. The Style library is sitting at a few thousand now so it might be tricky though.

Do you mean to tell me that you've never listened to Miles Davis Four+More??! Hancock, Carter, and Williams were all pissed off at Miles because they didn't find out until they got there that it was a charity gig and they weren't getting paid. You can hear it in their playing.
Posted By: Pithecanthropus Re: Bombastic Real Tracks Suggestion - 10/01/20 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Greetings! Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box.

+++ HERE +++ is a great forum location to post suggestion for RealTracks. Posting +++ HERE +++ gives other forum members a better opportunity to add their support to your request.

Thank you!
Posted By: rayc Re: Bombastic Real Tracks Suggestion - 03/19/21 08:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Pithecanthropus

Hancock, Carter, and Williams were all pissed off at Miles because they didn't find out until they got there that it was a charity gig and they weren't getting paid. You can hear it in their playing.

Not quite the style I'd likely get into - aggrieved, uncharitable jazz?
Perhaps is was a plan.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Bombastic Real Tracks Suggestion - 03/19/21 08:51 PM
I'm looking for some real bombastic traditional jazz tracks. Think Tony Williams, Ron Carter, and Herbie Hancock going at it with ferocity. Everything I have is just too tame. Can anyone point me at a Jazz RealPAK that might fit my needs?
Trying to figure out what you're really looking for. None of those players indulge in a style that meets my definition of the word.

Per Merriam Webster:

Bombastic
marked by or given to speech or writing that is given exaggerated importance by artificial or empty means : marked by or given to bombast : pompous, overblown.

Posted By: rayc Re: Bombastic Real Tracks Suggestion - 03/19/21 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Trying to figure out what you're really looking for. None of those players indulge in a style that meets my definition of the word.

Per Merriam Webster:

Bombastic
marked by or given to speech or writing that is given exaggerated importance by artificial or empty means : marked by or given to bombast : pompous, overblown.

PERHAPS there are more definitions than meet the search engine's top 2...
According to THE FREE DICTIONARY
"bombastic
Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
bom·bast (bŏm′băst′)
n.
1. Grandiloquent, pompous speech or writing.
2. Grandiose or overpowering expression, as in music or painting.
[Alteration of obsolete bombace, cotton padding, from Old French, from Medieval Latin bombax, bombac-, cotton; see bombazine.]
bom′bast′er n.
bom·bas′tic adj.
bom·bas′ti·cal·ly adv.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved."
I wouldn't use the word in the way it was used by the O.P. but it does have precedence. For me it will always be an insult BUT for a bunch of angry jazzers who have to play without pay, probably Republicans, it may also fit.
© PG Music Forums