PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike Understanding uptown funk - 10/29/20 05:23 PM
Posted By: sslechta Re: Understanding uptown funk - 10/29/20 09:55 PM
Thanks for the share! I really loved this one when it came out. It's amazing all the writing tricks they used here.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Understanding uptown funk - 10/30/20 09:57 AM
This was really interesting insight - I remember when it came out, both of my parents loved the song. It never really scratched an itch I was looking for, personally. Having watched this I can honestly say I understand it more.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Understanding uptown funk - 10/30/20 11:37 AM
I absolutely LOVED this. Music should be fun and they captured that. This song was played EVERYWHERE and is still a popular cover for a lot of bands. Everything doesn't have to be droopy or have this universal message. Sometimes fun is enough. In my opinion great songs deliver great feelings irrespective of the Genre. I think that's something a lot of music people just flat out don't get. Play "Time in a Bottle" or "WHOOMP THERE IT IS!!" and see which one generates across all ages :-) I mean I'm not a huge fan of "WHOOMP THERE IT IS !! or Bell, Biv, Devoe, but I do understand their appeal. When I was a DJ back in 2016 for an 70/80's station where I played Pop, Soft Rock, and Soul the most requested Band was Earth Wind and Fire. It's because their songs made people feel good irrespective of gender or race. Anyway that's just my opinion. Thanks for sharing this !
Posted By: sslechta Re: Understanding uptown funk - 10/30/20 11:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Henry Clarke
I played Pop, Soft Rock, and Soul the most requested Band was Earth Wind and Fire. It's because their songs made people feel good irrespective of gender or race.

Truth! I love listening to them. I think one of my favs is the intro to Shining Star, that blast of horns.
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: Understanding uptown funk - 10/30/20 01:15 PM
I absolutely LOVE this video - thank you for sharing.

(totally snagging this to share elsewhere too!)

Callie
smile
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Understanding uptown funk - 11/02/20 04:53 AM
The horn work is especially sensational. I think one of the key factors of the success of the song.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Understanding uptown funk - 11/06/20 10:47 PM
If you loved James Brown, you love Bruno Mars!
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Understanding uptown funk - 12/08/20 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
If you loved James Brown, you love Bruno Mars!

Or the Time

The synths are reminiscent of 80’s Minneapolis funk through and through.
© PG Music Forums