PG Music Home
Hello,

I'm new here in this forum and this is my first posting.
One of the music styles in Cambodia is the so called Romvong style.
I'm searching for a style in Band in a Box that is close the Romvong style. Need this for creating the song "Kolab Krohom".
Does anyone have any suggestion for me?

An example can be heard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N7f1kdh-Eo

Thanks in advance,
Nicolaas H
First thing: welcome.

Essentially this appears to be a pentatonic melody placed over the required chord progressions, and it is a matter of finding a style with suitable instrumentation to use with your chord structure. I'm not sure there is a perfect match for the style, however, try:

_SHANDON (RT371)
_ERRIGAL (Xtra Pak 8)
Look at the slow rock styles.

You might have to be creative and use just certain instruments in a style while playing the remainder yourself.

Listening to just a little bit of the example, this is totally doable.
Hello VideoTrack,

Thank you for the suggestion.
At first glance the _SHANDON (RT371) style looks usable for me as a starting point.
So far I did not realize that this song might be a pentatonic scale. As I started digging in Cambodian music, especially the so called Romvong music/dance I will pay special attention for this.

Hello GuitarHacker,

Thank you for your reply.
Until now I found no usable style for this song in the Slow Rock styles. But your suggestion to disable certain instruments might help me futher. I'm not sticked to this particular song. There will be more to follow. But it is a nice song for me to get started so I can create a nice backing track for my Cambodian girlfriend. BTW, I bought two nice songs on you page
Originally Posted By: Nicolaas H
Hello GuitarHacker,

Thank you for your reply.
Until now I found no usable style for this song in the Slow Rock styles. But your suggestion to disable certain instruments might help me futher. I'm not sticked to this particular song. There will be more to follow. But it is a nice song for me to get started so I can create a nice backing track for my Cambodian girlfriend. BTW, I bought two nice songs on you page

Thank you.... I saw that someone had purchased from the page.... thank you for doing that.
It reminds me of my time in Isaan.:-) Although the Thai songs are a bit more jangly. Loved Cambodia as well. I travelled down through Cambodia to Thailand about 15 years back. Laos and Vietnam were also wonderful.
Hi Lambada, great to hear from you. My beloved wife is from Cambodia and she has great interest in starting with singing again. This song, as I found later, is also known as "999 roses of love".
© PG Music Forums