PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike Songview ASCAP and BMI database - 01/22/21 09:16 AM
Songview is a new comprehensive data platform that provides music users with an authoritative view of public performance copyright ownership and administration shares for the vast majority of music licensed in the United States.

https://www.ascap.com/songview
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Songview ASCAP and BMI database - 01/22/21 05:16 PM
Interesting.

Doesn't really contain anything not already in ACE or the BMI Song Search but it's nice to see it displayed in one place.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Songview ASCAP and BMI database - 02/19/21 03:16 PM
Update:

I've been spending a lot of time in Songview lately. Publishers' Contact Info database is quite a bit improved and it's nice to see PRS and SOCAN integrated fairly well. Much better than ACE or Repertoire Search.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Songview ASCAP and BMI database - 02/19/21 09:20 PM
Do either of you know if this is supposed to be fully operational with BMI data?
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Songview ASCAP and BMI database - 02/20/21 02:22 PM
Yes.

I've not checked it on the BMI site but I've used it at the ASCAP link to acquire contact info for sync licenses from the publishers of BMI and PRS affiliated composers.

PRS is UK, much of the Commonwealth and administers performance rights for many countries that do not have a PRO.

The PROs do not administer these other rights in the USA—the publishers do—but Songview has the correct contact information for most of them. And that's the point of the Songview database besides determining who controls what in regards to performing rights.

Being a recent retiree, I need to be careful when discussing ASCAP. They are very protective of their proprietary data and rightly so. Unless there's a press release or other public info on a subject, I will not talk about it — including which departments I worked for and what I did for them.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Songview ASCAP and BMI database - 02/20/21 02:48 PM
The reason I asked is that my BMI registrations are not in this database.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Songview ASCAP and BMI database - 02/21/21 12:57 PM
Mine are in the data base but the total money earned doesn't change - $0.00. smile
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Songview ASCAP and BMI database - 02/21/21 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Time to have a talk with BMI Member Services, I should think.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Songview ASCAP and BMI database - 02/21/21 02:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Time to have a talk with BMI Member Services, I should think.
Appreciate the advice, thanks.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Songview ASCAP and BMI database - 02/21/21 04:15 PM
I use BMI and all my stuff is listed.
© PG Music Forums