PG Music Home
Posted By: AudioTrack Songs that use Backmasking - 02/27/22 11:56 PM
David Bennett discusses song that use 'Backmasking'

Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 02/28/22 06:22 AM
I've used reversed sound in the theatre more than a few times. It's very effective at unsettling the audience without them understanding why they're unsettled. Reversed ambient sound is subtly disturbing.
There are few sounds more disturbing than a scream in reverse.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 02/28/22 10:49 AM
Very interesting.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 02/28/22 01:38 PM
Thanks for posting this; as Mario said, very interesting.

I toyed around with this on one song. Took the ending bit, reversed it and had a rather interesting intro. (Or so I thought grin)

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/track/walk-in-the-city

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 02/28/22 04:39 PM
OK... interesting topic. Subliminal advertising.... very similar.... you insert images of one thing that look like something else to the subconscious. Movie theaters have flashed single frames of popcorn and drinks on the screen to encourage folks to visit the snack bar.

I saw a magazine in a store one night. It was US magazine. I asked my friend what he saw on the cover. He said Farrah Fawscet. I told him to look closer. After I described what I saw, he saw it too. The letters E and X were clearly visible in the way her hair was done.... with the S in US.... SEX was clearly visible across the cover of the magazine.

Musically.... I've been fascinated by this for a long time.

So this is easy to do in the studio. You simply reverse the audio and put it in..... However..... knowing the story of Stairway To Heaven..... One day, the movie THe Song Remains The Same came on the TV. SO knowing that they would perform STH, I set up a mic to my Tascam 1. I recorded their LIVE performance. Knowing where in the song it was supposed to be located.... If there's a bustle in your hedgerow don't be alarmed now,it's just a spring clean for the may queen..... I flipped the tape. On the live performance at Madison Square Garden, you can still hear the words Satan my sweet satan.... including to a lesser degree the remaining part of that sentence of 26 or 27 words.... kinda interesting that it happens on a live recording from a concert.

Zep and the Beatles are just the tip of the satanic iceberg with backwards masking....

Is there anything satanic to this? I'll let you decide.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/01/22 12:20 AM
I'm not a fan of this loose, clicky use of the term "backmasking" to label all reversed audio. It implies some kind of "hidden" (possibly Satanic!) content, which is usually not the case.

Zappa reversing an entire passage in "Mother People" because the lyrics had been censored, fine, let's call that backmasking.

But any of that Beatles stuff? Call it reversed audio. There's no hidden message being "masked", it's just a production technique.
Posted By: Byron Dickens Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/01/22 05:24 AM
When I listened to the alleged back masked part of "Stairway to Heaven," all I heard was garbled nonsense.

http://www.skepdic.com/backward.html
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/01/22 06:17 AM
It worth bearing strongly in mind that the human brain tries very hard to make sense of what is sees and hears.
That's why we see faces in fairly random shapes and blotches in toast, fruit, tree trunks and what have you, and why we start to hear, or think we hear voices in almost anything that's at a vocal-region pitch and even faintly in white noise.

It always puzzled me why anyone would play music backwards looking for hidden messages.

If one really wants to make a reverse message, a vocoder-type device would be an easy way to do it. Reverse the sound, code it, play it forwards.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/01/22 11:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
It always puzzled me why anyone would play music backwards looking for hidden messages.

Or TV theme songs. The theme from “Mr. Ed” supposedly contained the lines “the source is the Devil” and “someone sung this song for Satan”, both of which you can indeed hear if that’s what you want to hear.

The reverse song got some airplay at the time and I remember reading that royalties still had to be paid.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/02/22 12:20 PM
My view is that songs that use 'backmasking' where the subliminal message is barely legible and takes a massive amount of very 'adventurous interpretation' (whether played forward or in reverse) is most probably purely coincidental.
Posted By: Peters Garage Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/04/22 08:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
I'm not a fan of this loose, clicky use of the term "backmasking" to label all reversed audio. It implies some kind of "hidden" (possibly Satanic!) content, which is usually not the case.

Zappa reversing an entire passage in "Mother People" because the lyrics had been censored, fine, let's call that backmasking.

But any of that Beatles stuff? Call it reversed audio. There's no hidden message being "masked", it's just a production technique.

I strongly agree, it's just a production technique. I've played around with it a couple of times, but usually it makes very little sense, to try to hide any messages as 2022 gives you so many platforms, where you can share you real message, rather than trying to cover it up into something intended for the subconscious.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/04/22 01:05 PM
Quote:
The theme from “Mr. Ed” supposedly contained the lines “the source is the Devil” and “someone sung this song for Satan”, both of which you can indeed hear if that’s what you want to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHbHpz3KwnM

Around 0:38
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/04/22 03:51 PM
The words can be more-or-less identified, but they are just phonemes, and purely coincidental. That I'm sure of crazy
Posted By: MarioD Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/04/22 04:43 PM
All I heard was a bunch of weird @ss noises!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/06/22 05:07 PM
I'm not hearing it.... but it does kinda sound like someone is using German.

AND.... I'm more concerned about the demonic aspects of a horse that talks.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/08/22 04:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I'm not hearing it.... but it does kinda sound like someone is using German.

AND.... I'm more concerned about the demonic aspects of a horse that talks.

Yes, I agree. As I mentioned, the words (syllables?) can be more-or-less identified, but they are just phonemes, and purely coincidental.

Re said horse: I read somewhere that they placed string or cotton between the horses teeth which it attempted to dislodge with mouth/lip movements. Must've been very annoying for the horse. These days, improper animal welfare might rightfully be used to describe the technique. However, keeping this thread musically orientated, the song "Mr Ed" was composed by Jay Livingstone and Ray Edwards wink
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/08/22 05:28 PM
I did this once. Some time back I did an experiment with looping and layers and the like and Rog did some guitar for me. (I asked him for ANGRY guitar and he knew just what I wanted.) Because the chord pattern was palindromic his guitar work fit both forward and backward. I have played that song for many people and when they finished listening I asked them if they could tell that one of the guitar parts was backward masked. Not too many could tell which one. It's an interesting concept.
Posted By: rayc Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/09/22 10:53 PM
I use bits of backward music often...it's very easy in Reaper...record a chunk of audio. click on the item, select item properties or similar and select reverse...BAM...the image is reversed as well as the audio.
With spoken language it becomes more complex as a phoneme needs to convey/change meaning and a reversed phoneme may not, necessarily, do that.
These days there's a lot of "backmasking" done for fun & because the technology is so simple to acquire and use that experimentation occurs and many folk get a thrill from the "subversive" possibilities.
Revolution #9 has some but it's nothing particularly exciting. In fact it sounds much better forward than reversed...no shock in that.
Bowie used an Iggy Pop backing track in reverse for himself...he wrote the piece so that's fine.
I wouldn't call it "backmasking" if it's not actually masking something though.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/10/22 04:29 PM
OK, I'm gonna slip this non-BIAB cover in here 'cos it's way on topic (and pretty good, too, I think.) It uses reversal extensively, there's a whole layer of backwards audio that fades in and out:

Mysteries of Love

Words: David Lynch
Music: Angelo Badalamenti

Production by moi with Ruby Dubidoux on vocal, an online collaboration from 2009.
Posted By: rayc Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/11/22 03:39 AM
OK, I'm gonna slip this non-BIAB cover in here 'cos it's way on topic (and pretty good, too, I think.) It uses reversal extensively, there's a whole layer of backwards audio that fades in and out:

Mysteries of Love

Production by moi with Ruby Dubidoux on vocal, an online collaboration from 2009.

OOOOH, noice.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Songs that use Backmasking - 03/11/22 02:16 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc

Mysteries of Love

OOOOH, noice.

Thanks. I am well pleased with myself on this one, and I am certainly ever delighted by Ruby's singing. I forget now how I did the backward stuff, I think it was a region-based plugin, so it would have been clip by clip. FWIW there's a bit of reversed guitar at 2:48–2:52 that is possibly the most perfect bit of musical sound I have ever emitted.

Attached picture maxresdefault.jpg
© PG Music Forums