PG Music Home
Posted By: pmills Melodist and modes - 11/06/22 12:13 PM
Is there a way to have the Band-in-a-Box Melodist generate chords and melodies that match a modal scale?

I've been wanting to learn more about modes by producing music using them and having Band-in-a-Box create starting points. I can't find anything that directly references scales other than major and minor.

One idea I had -- a rather oblique one -- was, as an example:
- Have Melodist generate chords in Dm to establish a tonal centre.
- Fix up the chords manually to match a Dorian mode.
- In Melodist again, tell it to produce a melody only in C over the new chords.

Have I missed a feature completely?
How far off base have I strayed? smile
Posted By: DrDan Re: Melodist and modes - 11/06/22 02:28 PM
My understanding is this is not possible in BIAB. Of course you could still construct backing chords which emphasize the modal charateristic notes, but these extensions and voicings will likely not be followed by BIAB which builds solos based on key (major/minor) and not chords. Look to Scaler2.

But I may be all wrong. crazy
Posted By: DrDan Re: Melodist and modes - 11/06/22 06:08 PM
So here is 8 bars of my G-Dorian Backing in Scaler. And then I took the Scaler Midi track and opened it is BIAB. You can see what happens in BIAB since is just can't handle the extensions. It got the Key right (F) but I have no aspirations that if will stick to the my G Dorian Scale directives. On the other hand Scaler does what it is told. Every chord is optimized, voiced and extended (well to the level of knowlege I have) to emphsize G-Dorian. Scaler will write the perfomance tracks with G-Dorian in mind.

Attached picture Capture.GIF
Attached picture Capture2.GIF
Posted By: MarioD Re: Melodist and modes - 11/06/22 06:27 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
So here is 8 bars of my G-Dorian Backing in Scaler. And then I took the Scaler Midi track and opened it is BIAB. You can see what happens in BIAB since is just can't handle the extensions. It got the Key right (F) but I have no aspirations that if will stick to the my G Dorian Scale directives. On the other hand Scaler does what it is told. Every chord is optimized, voiced and extended (well to the level of knowlege I have) to emphsize G-Dorian. Scaler will write the perfomance tracks with G-Dorian in mind.

One great feature of Studio One Pro is that you can take a BiaB input and force them to conform to your chords. Thus you take Scaler chords either type them in or put the sequence in Studio One Pro and extract the chords from them and then you can force all tracks to follow those chords. I do that with Scaler, Toontrack's stuff, and other programs. Those programs, BiaB, and Studio One Pro make great combinations.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Melodist and modes - 11/06/22 06:34 PM
BIAB just needs some more MIDI Love! Here's hoping for BIAB 2023! grin
Posted By: MarioD Re: Melodist and modes - 11/06/22 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
BIAB just needs some more MIDI Love! Here's hoping for BIAB 2023! grin

I agree!
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Melodist and modes - 11/07/22 09:43 AM
+1 to that guys!!

Jeff
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Melodist and modes - 12/05/22 03:05 AM
Originally Posted By: pmills
Is there a way to have the Band-in-a-Box Melodist generate chords and melodies that match a modal scale?

I've been wanting to learn more about modes by producing music using them and having Band-in-a-Box create starting points. I can't find anything that directly references scales other than major and minor.

One idea I had -- a rather oblique one -- was, as an example:
- Have Melodist generate chords in Dm to establish a tonal centre.
- Fix up the chords manually to match a Dorian mode.
- In Melodist again, tell it to produce a melody only in C over the new chords.

Have I missed a feature completely?
How far off base have I strayed? smile

Could be.

I'm not at it right now, but here's something you could try that might lead you right. Every mode of major has a major scale (a relative major scale?) that shares all the same notes. C Dorian and Bb major, for example. Between your chord choices and "slashing" the modal root you might get melodist to cooperate better. Worth a try.
Posted By: DFT Re: Melodist and modes - 12/16/22 07:32 PM
I think all you really have to do is learn or reference the chords for the key and mode you want to use.

For example D Dorian is from C Major scale. So in D Dorian your tonic i chord is D minor. From there you just climb the C major scale for your chords. So your dominant fifth chord is v A minor and your seventh chord is VII C major. All the chords don't necessarily work well in each mode. For example your sixth chord is now vi B diminished in D Dorian. But there are conventions of substituting parallel chords or foregoing the use of a particular chord depending upon which mode you are using.

A fabulous free resource is Hooktheory.com. Check out D Dorian here at https://hookpad.hooktheory.com/?idOfSong...e&tempo=120

I should add that Hooktheory will also easily show you the specific notes for the chord you are writing your melody over.
© PG Music Forums